Cette page en français

News and observation reports, December 2003:

Some of the UFO observations and ufology news in December 2003 are listed on this page. Please note that these are not studies, but second hand observation reports, although mostly obtained from reliable and well known sources.


From Researcher: Stan Gordon

"I have received additional information concerning a daylight close range observation of a small cigar shaped UFO. This incident occurred on December 31, 2003, at approximately 1:30 P.M. as the witness was driving west of Ligonier, PA in Westmoreland County, on Route 30. The weather conditions at the time were very good. The driver was heading westbound when she observed an object flying through the sky about 10 feet off the ground. The object was moving up the right lane of the highway, and initially the observer had the impression that she was observing a bird. The woman soon realized that the object had no wings."

"The object began to approach closer in her direction, giving the witness the opportunity to get a better look at it. She described the object as cigar shaped, about 12 inches in length, and it appeared to be metallic. On the side of the object were several dark, possibly black bands. At a distance of about 15 feet, the object changed direction and began to keep pace with the vehicle."

"The witness indicated that the object then hovered just above her, then in front of her at a distance which she estimated to be about 12 feet or less. The object then suddenly took off overhead and was no longer seen. The entire experience lasted about 15 seconds. The witness called me to see if there had been any other similar reports."

"Note: Over the years I have occasionally received reports of small spherical objects which have been observed at close range. The observation of a small cigar shaped object is interesting."

Stan Gordon
PA UFO Hotline: 724-838-7768 (24 hours)
P.O. Box 936, Greensburg, PA 15601


WOODSTOCK – The witnesses seriously saw a UFO on December 18, 2003, at 7 PM, as cars were pulling off to the side of the road to stop and look. There was something sitting in the air not moving that had a green and red light on each side and two huge spotlights in the middle. It didn't move it just sat in one place and it wasn't really high up. It looked like a saucer shape, but it was hard to make out. Ten minutes later, I saw two helicopters headed back towards the object. The witness states, "I don't know what it was but it wasn't a plane or helicopter."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


NAPIER -- On December 18, 2003, at 10 PM, eight or nine rectangular objects were spotted moving until most suddenly they stopped, then two shot away exceptionally fast. The observer took a photo of a stationary one that was bright with red, and blue flashing lights. He states, "We reported it to the Wellington Airbase and they said, ‘they had seen it and a carrier jet pilot was up there at that moment that would explain the white object flying towards the object at slow speed.'"

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


HESPERUS -- At about 9:30 PM, on December 18, 2003, a couple heard a loud noise, which caused them to run outside and observe a cigar shaped object 200 feet above their house. There were two lights, one above the other slightly tilted with the upper light being forward. It turned very slowly so that the lights were eventually horizontal to one another. It was much too large to be a helicopter and its size was about that of a large passenger plane. However, it did not sound like a passenger plane nor could one fly this slowly. The eyewitness ran into the house and got the binoculars, and watched for another ten minutes. It hovered over the mountain for five minutes. "There was another small white light near it while it was hovering, and I thought it to be a small airplane. My husband is a mechanical engineer and has studied and understands aircraft, he had no idea what this was."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


Two very shiny, oblong objects were seen by Jason Greywolf Leigh from his yard and videotaped by the local NBC affiliate, Channel 5, KXAS rooftop live camera on December 18, 2003, at 11:42 PM. The weatherman was doing the weather and ordered David Finfrock to switch to the rooftop camera live to show the delightful sunset. The camera showed two objects shooting due south in perfect formation, at incredible speeds. They spanned the horizon from north to the south in less than four seconds on a horizontal plane, 12 to 15 degrees above the horizon. These objects 'glowed' a silvery, bright white, followed by an instantly disappearing vapor trail They were in a 'perfect' straight-line formation, about two widths of the sun apart. The weatherman did a double take as these objects zipped by his pointing finger without comment. The same shot was repeated on the 10 PM news segment that I watched.

Thanks to Jason Greywolf Leigh and George Filer, filerfiles.

Why could these objects not be simple meteors?


KELOWNA, BC -- A large saucer shaped object bolted across the sky on December 18, 2003, at 5:30 PM, and then hovered before it dived down to the earth's surface. It either hovered or landed on the mountain. After sitting or hovering on the mountaintop for about 2.5 seconds the flying saucer disappeared, except for an eerie red glow that remained in the same place that the UFO had disappeared. Five seconds later the glow also disappeared.

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


Agence France Presse reports on Tuesday, 16 December 2003 that villagers claim to have seen a UFO hovering over a quiet village in northern Kedah state near the Thai border, in Malaysia. The report says in is the second such sighting there in two years.

According to the AFP report which is based on a report in the newspaper, The New Straits Times, a boy aged 9 names Mohamad Amirul Syafiq saw a slow moving disc-like object about the size of a car emitting a greenish light spinning in the air over Banggol Cicar village near the town of Baling for about four minutes before it disappeared.

The boy said that he first thought it was a plane about to crash, and "I then called my friends to look at the object which was hovering just over the top of a coconut tree behind my house." His pal Mohamad Faiz Alias, aged 12, said he thought Mohamad Amirul was joking. He added, "But we saw clearly the object in the air, emitting a bright light."

Another boy, Kamaruddin Othman, 12, said he realised the object was not a plane because it was silent. His father, Othman Ahmad, 54, said he also caught sight of the UFO before it disappeared. Two years ago, a villager said he saw a UFO hovering in the air while on his way to the mosque for pre-dawn prayers, the paper said.


The witness writes:

"Hi Pgrsel,
My wife, 14-year old daughter and myself were watching the night sky on the parking lot of NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) in Boulder, Colorado for the Geminid meteor shower."

"At around 10 PM we all saw something that we were not prepared for: A UFO in the shape of triangle with three bright orange lights on the left and right side of it moving fairly quickly from a south-westerly to a north-easterly direction. This UFO was fairly large in size, and the most amazing thing was that it moved absolutely silently."

"I have seen (and heard) a B-2 stealth bomber at an air show a couple of years ago, and that was not what we observed last night. First of all, the stealth airplanes have a different silhouette (not the perfect triangle we saw) and they are far from silent once they have flown past you."

Thought you might be interested to know.



The witness writes on December 12,2003 à 04:41 P.M.:

I often browse though your website because I am interested in the UFO phenomenon. As many, there remained 1% of mine which did not want to completely believe in it. That was up to no more than 15 minutes ago!!! I went out to take some fresh airand smoke a cigarette. I first started to hear a slight humming sound, the sound seemed to come from behind, so I turned around. There was nothing. A few seconds later I had like the feeling that something would really come from behind me and when I turned around for the second time, no more doubts!!! An object obviously of triangular shape was silently hovering in the air. There was 3 white lights, pulsating, at each of its endings. At the center, I distinguished 2 red lights, a bigger yellow light and there was 2 more smaller white lights pulsating at the same time than those at the endings. Location is L'aigle in the Orne, duration of the observation was approximately 2 minutes, the object disappeared behind the l'horizon. I have enough knowledge in aeronautics to state that I have not seen an F-117!!! I have only one thing to say: Youhouuuuu!!!!"



FITCHBURG – An experienced sky watcher was watching the sunset on December 13, 2003, at 4:25 PM, when a very bright line in the sky caught his eye. A bright rod was about one fist’s width above the horizon and a little left of where the sun had set, and about the length of a thumbnail. He states, "I used a pair of binoculars to get a better look and discovered that this was not a contrail since the front and back where completely flat and the length of the object was extremely straight." It was an absolutely perfect, highly elongated rectangle with a length to width ratio of about ten to one. For the first minute or so I observed, it didn't move at all. Then, over the next thirty seconds, it slowly moved about it's own length to the right, and then stopped moving. I observed it for another 30 seconds, and then it just suddenly vanished. The four corners of the elongated rectangular shape were perfect 90-degree angles. The perception was that this was something far way and very large. I categorize the shape as cylinder, that flew away in the blink of an eye and was likely self-illuminated?

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC, and George Filer, Filersfiles.


On Saturday, December 13, 2003, at 10:05 p.m., eyewitness A.B. reported, "Me and George were at my country property just north of Launceston" in Australia's island state of Tasmania, "sitting outside, having a smoke. At about 10:05 p.m., George noticed a long, cigar- shaped glowing object approaching from the northeast, high in the sky."

"As it approached the property, it slid lower into the sky and appeared as if it would land. And, as fast as it appeared, it flew away with only a slight tingling in the air to confirm it had ever been there at all. It was about 80 meters (264 feet) above ground, lowering to about 20 meters (66 feet). At its minimum speed, I would say it approached 200 kilometers per hour (120 miles per hour)."

Launceston is in northern Tasmania, about 250 kilometers (150 miles) north of Hobart, the state capital. (Email Form Report)

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 8, Number 48, December 17, 2003, www.ufoinfo.com/roundup


A 29 year old man reports to have seen a flying object in the shape of a diamond from its appartment on the second floor of a residence of Gasthuishoevestraat in Merksem, close to Antwerp, Belgium, on December 13, 2003 at 11:15 P.M. He said the object remained in sight during some 20 minutes.

The object was elliptic and luminous, the witness and a friend said that it could not have been a helicopter for it was "much too large." After having flown in circles, the object left towards the South-west.


On Thursday, December 11, 2003, Christoph Ferlmoser was at his home in Vienna, the capital of Austria, when he noticed an unusual bright light on the northern horizon, over the Wiernerwald forest.

"It was far away from me, about 50 kilometers (30 miles) at first," Christoph reported, "I saw a big white object in the sky, and I'm sure it wasn't a star because it was only one o'clock in the afternoon. I stared at it, and it came closer to me. Then I noticed that the object was made of a shiny silver material. It had a diamond shape, and it was zigzagging through the sky."

"After 30 seconds or so, the object disappeared. Nobody believes me, but I know what I have seen. The object was silver, and it had a diamond shape."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFOroundup Volume 8 #49, for this email forme report.


On Thursday, December 11, 2003, Milton Clarke was outdoors in his hometown of Clogher, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, UK when "a UFO approached from the north."

"It seemed like a glowing triangle, really bright," Milton reported, "I couldn't see any markings. It was very close to the ground at one point. Triangle with bright glow. It was 20 metres (66 feet) off the ground at one point. It came in very fast, slowed down to a stop, then flew away very fast towards the west."

"I took some pictures, but it's hard to know if it will come out. It was very dark, and I didn't have the right type of film for this kind of thing." (Email Form Report)

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 8, Number 48, December 17, 2003, www.ufoinfo.com/roundup


On Sunday, December 7, 2003, the male witness reported, "I went outside at 11:50 p.m. just before Stargate came on to see if it was getting foggy. Walked around to the side of my house and in the distance was a yellow orb. From my perspective, it looked like it was just over the Kettlemen Hills" in Kerman, California (population 8,551).

"I just thought it was the planet Mars. 'Cause I saw it (Mars) in the sky every night during the summer," he added, "I had to go pee really bad so I went back inside. Did my business, then went back outside and saw it was still there. Ran back inside to get my mom and sister up."

"Took about five minutes to get them up and outside. And when we got outside, it was gone. Later, I was sitting watching Stargate and got to thinking it (the orb) was bigger than Mars looked when it was closest to the Earth, and that, if it had been a planet, it wouldn't have gone out of sight in ten minutes."

The witness estimated that the UFO "hovered maybe 700 feet (210 meters) above the tallest mountain" in the Kettlemen Hills.

Kerman, Cal. is on Highway 180 approximately 17 miles (27 kilometers) west of Fresno. (Email Form Report)

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 8, Number 48, December 17, 2003, www.ufoinfo.com/roundup

Note: what follows in a press release.


For Immediate Release: Thursday, December 4, 2003

Ed Rothschild Larry Landsman
PodestaMattoon SCI FI Channel
202/393-1010 212/413-5837


Unprecedented Cooperative Joins Together Major Organizations To Engage Scientific Community

Washington, D.C. - Recognizing the need to establish the scientific legitimacy of investigating unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), SCI FI Channel today announced a new initiative that brings together the major organizations investigating this still mysterious phenomenon and establishes a multi-group effort to study the physical evidence associated with UAP reports.

This unprecedented initiative, supported by the SCI FI Channel, joins together all of the major organizations that study the phenomenon-the Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS), the Fund for UFO Research (FUFOR), the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), the National Aviation Center for Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP), the National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS), and the National UFO Reporting Center (NUFORC).

The goal of the effort is to engage the interest of the broader scientific community with cases featuring trace physical evidence. The cooperative will spearhead thorough scientific investigations of these cases with the intent to publish results in mainstream scientific journals. The groups have created a joint website where members of the public, as well as scientists, can report current UFO sightings (www.ufoscience.org).

"For nearly 50 years, numerous organizations and individuals have reported on and studied the UFO phenomenon," said Dr. Mark Rodeghier, Scientific Director of CUFOS. "Until now, these organizations have not combined their accumulated knowledge, expertise, and resources to establish and oversee a systematic, rigorous effort to investigate scientifically promising UAP cases."

At an organizing meeting held this past June in Washington, D.C., leaders of these organizations agreed to develop a framework and protocols to conduct rapid investigation and analysis of cases with physical evidence. "Obtaining and analyzing physical evidence is the best way to determine the validity, and potential causes, of the UAP phenomenon," said John Schuessler, International Director of MUFON.

"It is our hope that by working with scientists who can subject this phenomenon to rigorous investigation and laboratory study, we can understand more about the likely causes of UAP, whether it occurs with discernible patterns or trends, whether existing knowledge is adequate to provide explanations, or whether the phenomenon represents something truly unexplained," said Don Berliner, Chairman of FUFOR.

In addition to landmark documentary programming, last year SCI FI launched a Washington, D.C. based public advocacy initiative to draw greater attention to the UFO phenomenon by the media, scientists and opinion leaders. Those interested in more information on SCI FI's supported public advocacy initiative can log on to www.freedomofinfo.org. On December 12 the channel will premiere UFO INVASION AT RENDLESHAM, a new two-hour special hosted by Bryant Gumbel, exposing what has come to be regarded as the most significant military-UFO incident in history (www.scifi.com/rendlesham).


Psychologists at Goldsmiths College, University of London, are looking for abductees to take part in a scientific study into the alien abduction phenomenon.

The project will be the most comprehensive scientific study into the phenomenon ever carried out in the United Kingdom, and is to be the subject of a feature in the next issue of UFO Magazine.

UK-based abductees wishing to take part in this study are requested to email apru@gold.ac.uk or contact Rachel Fox or Julia Santomauro, 020 7919 7171 (ext 4389), for further information.

Witness confidentiality is guaranteed, and abductees are free to use pseudonyms if they wish.

Further details of the study can be found at the following link:



REYNOLDSBURG – On December 1, 2003, a cylinder shaped object moving east appeared in broad daylight around noon and was flying very high in the sky and was the size of a ball point pen tip held at arm's length. The witness had a passing plane to compare with the cylinder. The object passed behind the contrail of a jet airplane moving in the opposite direction, but left no contrail of it's own. Also, the object seemed to reflect the sun's rays inconsistently, and was not constantly illuminated by the sun as was the airplane moving in the opposite direction.

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on January 24, 2004