Colares 1977 -> Casebook -> Homeclick!

Cette page en françaisCliquez!

Colares 1977:

In 1977, the Brazilian island of Colares and the area of the Amazon delta were visited by flying objects of an unknown nature. Nearly all kinds of UFOs were seen, some big, some small, saucer-shaped, cigar-shaped, barrel-shaped, luminous or not. They arrived generally from the North every day, from the sky and also sometimes from underwater, and it lasted for months. Regularly, some Island's inhabitants were targeted by the objects beaming strange lights at them, and many were badly hurt. The Air Force came, investigated, saw, reported. The weird rays hurt thirty-five people, and civilians fled from entire villages. You never heard this before? Well read ahead, then.

Table of content:

Click! The events at Colares, 1977.
Click! A secret 200 pages report by the Brazilian military.
Click! A complete investigation report by Daniel Rebisso Gliese.
Click! The investigation by Jacques Vallée.
Click! The journalists experiences.
This page Colonel Hollanda of the Brazilian Army speaks out (This page).
Click! Doctor Wellaide Cecim of Colares speaks out.
Click! The military involvement.
Click! More in the military involvement.
Click! In a French Defense report.
Click! Pictures.
Click! Newspapers articles.
Click! 2004: Finally, the military reports are available.
Click! References.

An interview with Colonel Hollanda:

When the terror caused by the UFOs spread from Colares to the neighboring cities, the Brazilian Aeronautics sent a military team to discover what was happening. This operation was named Operation Plate and was commanded by Captain Uyrangê Bolivar Soares Nogueira de Hollanda Lima, now a retired Colonel. His team made hundreds of photos and four films. When the phenomenon ceased, the military locked up its activities. Unfortunately, none of the photos and films were disclosed. But to the great surprise of the Ufologists, in October of 1997, Colonel Hollanda gave a detailed interview to the Ademar researchers Jose Gevaerd and Marco Antonio Petit, respectively publisher and co-publisher of the Brazilian UFO magazine "Revista UFO." Here is the full text of this capital interview.

Note: because my understanding of the Portuguese language is somehow limited, I have kept the original untranslated version at the end of this page. Do not hesitate to contact me if you find a translation error.

UFO Magazine - If you have created a file, then it tells us that there has already been some progresses in the investigation?

Hollanda - Yes, when I arrived from Brasilia I already had agents who had being sent to investigate occurrences of UFOS, because this thing was already happening so often in the area of Colares, which is a belonging to the city of Vigia, on the coast of Pará.

The mayor of the city sent an officer to the commander of COMAR to inform him that the UFOs were bothering the fishing very much. Some of them could not exert the fishing activity anymore, because the objects navigated under their boats. At times, some objects even dived near them, in the rivers and in the sea. The local population spent the night outside. The people set up fires and used firecrackers to try to drive the invaders away. It was the panic that made the mayor contact the command of COMAR, asking for instructions, and the Brigadier General ordered that I was to investigate the sightings.

UFO Magazine - Was there at some point a participation or instruction from Brasilia (Ed.: the capital, i.e. the government) so that the situation is inquired?

Hollanda - At the time, it did not participate in the discussions. There was only one captain and he received only orders. I was no part of this proceeding and I do not know with certainty as of the decisions that had been taken. But, for the little that I know, the decision was in the hands of the command of COMAR. If it had involvement of Brasilia, I do not know about it.

UFO Magazine - How did you organize Operation Plate? How many sections, how many people, how many missions etc? And did you organize all the tasks?

Hollanda - Well, we were a team. I was at the head of it. We had five agents, all sergeants, that worked in the second division of COMAR. Moreover, we had informers on location, people in the places where the lights appeared, on the field, that helped them. At the time I divided the team in two or three different positions in the country. Clearly, we were constantly in contact with one another, through radio.

UFO Magazine - What was the immediate objective of Operation Plate? To observe flying disks, to photograph them and to contact them?

Hollanda - As a matter of fact I wanted to test this thing off exactly and completely. It wanted to explain it and clear it out. Because everybody spoke in the lights and objects and had even nicknamed them with popular names, such as "Chupa-chupa" (Ed.: "suck-suck" or "absorb-absorb"). And, the Brazilian Air Forces needed to know what was really happening, since this occurred in the Brazilian airspace. The responsibility to inquire was ours. But in the beginning of Operation Plate, what I exactly I wanted was a confirmation the events that were happening.

UFO Magazine - What motivated the local population to call the lights "Cupa-chupa?"

Hollanda - There were a series of stories of people who had been touched by a light ray. All judged that the effect of the ray was to suck blood out of them. And actually we verified some cases and we discovered that several of them, mainly women, had strangest marks on their left breast, and there were two punctures of needle around a brown spot. It looked like iodine burning. And those people had their blood sucked out, in small amount, by those lights.

Therefore they had started to nickname them "Chupa-chupa." It was always the same thing: a light came out of nothing and followed somebody, generally a woman, who was hit on the left breast. At some times they were men who were hit, with marks in the arms and (pemas.) To tell you the truth, in ten cases, there were more or less eight women and two men.

UFO Magazine - And you have recorded and checked the marks on the people?

Hollanda - Yes, it was all checked and analyzed by doctors, who went with us to the locations at the time. Sincerely, I entered in this as the devil's advocate. What I exactly wanted was to demystify this story and to say to my commander that this thing did not exist, that it was a collective hallucination. I found that some things were being seen, but that it was not extraterrestrial.

UFO Magazine - What did you think it was, then, that was being seen and attacked the people?

Hollanda - I do not know. Perhaps the plumage of an owl reflecting the light of the moon or some other thing of this sort. It was thought it might be extraterrestrial, but I did not think so. I went there for verifying that this thing was really happening. I spent at least two months to get an answer for my commander, when I came back from the mission, I had discovered nothing.

The first the two months of Operation Plate, I saw nothing that could change my opinion. At one point we spent one week in the weeds and came back only on the Sunday, we lived a little bit like a family. At each report, my commander asked:

"Did you see something?" And my response was always: "We saw strange lights, at least, but nothing extraterrestrial". In fact, we saw lights that never blinked, that passed at a low altitude, but nothing very strange.

UFO Magazine - This was during the night. What happened during the day? Were there other activities during Operation Plate?

Hollanda - Yes, we had other things to do, that were part of the objectives of the operation. We made interviews with people who had had experiences, we prepared the places to spend the night and searched "hot" spots for night watches. When we discovered that something appeared in such a place, we (...). We made a survey of the situation, and we always registered the names of the involved people in a proper form.

UFO Magazine - What procedure or methodology was used to collect information?

Hollanda - We always recorded the name of the person who had the experience, the place where it occurred, the date and time etc. We made a description of each fact that occurred in the same locality. Thus, if three cases in a night happened, people heard three witnesses. Some of the descriptions were common, the other had most strangeness. At times we received stories from things that we could not prove to be authentic, as dematerialization of entire walls or roofs, for example.

UFO Magazine - What do you mean? Do you have some example to illustrate this type of events?

Hollanda - Yes. The first lady that I interviewed in Colares, for example, told me absurd things. We came by the helicopter from Belém just to hear a woman who had been attacked by the Chupa-Chupa. We really did see that she had a mark in the left breast. It was brown, as if it was a burning, and had series of holes in a line. When we talked, told to me that a child was seated in a net trying to put a child to sleep when, suddenly, the environment started to change of temperature. She found it rather pleasant, but she could not imagine what happened next. Then, lying in the net, she saw that the roofing tiles had started to be colored, in live coal color. After that, they changed to be transparent and she could see the sky through the roof. It was as if the roofing tiles had turned into glass. She saw the sky and even the stars.

UFO Magazine - Were strange stories such as this very common during Operation Plate?

Hollanda - Very common, and it scared me a lot, because I had never heard anyone speak about such things. When I heard of such cases, I was both worried and even more curious. These people seemed to be sincere. For example, through the hole that the woman described she saw a green light shining in the sky. The lady was half asleep, until, after that, a red ray that left the UFO reached her left breast. It was strange that in the majority of the cases the people were hit at their left side. There was more: exactly at the time where we were speaking of this, a girl came to us and said:

"Look at the thing that is passing above." When I left the house, I saw the light that the young girl was pointing, flying at a reasonable speed, although the sky was sufficiently covered. It was not very quick and it blinked as it was going to the North. It looked like a satellite, except that this light turned back on its route - and satellites do not do this!

Soon after that, there was something even stranger. But I could not exactly say if it was an extraterrestrial ship. By the way, I was not there to cover up any thing that appeared as being a flying disk.

UFO Magazine - Did you use some type of radar equipment that could confirm or follow these phenomena?

Hollanda - No. All the airports have fixed radars. We did not carry anything of this type.

UFO Magazine - Were the attacks that were happening with certain frequency communicated to the Government, to the state or municipal authorities?

Hollanda - Yes, clearly. Some doctors of the Ministry of Public Health of Pará had been sent by the government to examine the people. They analyzed the burnt skins and took the patients statements, but they did not do anything more than that - never. Some victims recovered easily. Others were very terrified. Some have been nauseates, or fell asleep for days. A citizen once came to look for me and said that next to his house a light had appeared, that focuses a shining ray towards him. He told me that he has been so terrified that he ran inside his house, caught a weapon and pointed it to the light. Then stronger rays came and caused him to fall. The poor men spent two weeks with locomotion problems (Ed.: Because he fell), but did not have anything more serious.

He has not been hit by anything solid, as a shot, for example. It seems that the nature of this light was that of a very strong energy that left people paralyzed. I believe that the federal authorities were informed of this type of attack on human beings that were happening in the region, but I am unaware of any tests. I only received orders from my commander, nothing more.

UFO Magazine - If these depositions had been collected since the beginning of the Operation Plate, when were the first close encounters with UFOS in that region begin?

Hollanda - It was sufficiently significant. Certain night, our team was searching the Island of Mosqueiro, in a place called Bahia do Sol (Ed.: Sun Bay) (Publisher: a known health-resort of Belém, near Colares), therefore we had information that these things were happening there. And as we were investigating all and any indication of ufological occurrences, we settled ourselves in the place. In this period, the agents who had more time than I to devote to this operation - since "I caught the train when it was already started" -, they questioned me all the time, after they saw some lights, as if I was already convinced of the existence of the phenomenon. As I was still undecided, they said to me: "But captain, do you still not believe?" I answered that I wasn't, that we needed more tests to believe that those things were flying disks. I had not seen any ship at that time. Only light, many and varied. I was still not satisfied.

Original version:

Revista UFO - Se o senhor recebeu uma pasta de seu chefe, então quer dizer que já havia em andamento alguma investigação a respeito?

Hollanda - Sim, quando eu cheguei de Brasília já havia agentes sendo enviados para investigar as ocorrências de UFOS, porque essa coisa já estava acontecendo há muito tempo na região de Colares, que é uma ilha pertencente ao município de Vigia, no litoral do Pará.

O prefeito da cidade mandou um oficio para o comandante do Comar avisando que os UFOS estavam incomodando muito os pescadores. Alguns deles não conseguiam mais exercer sua atividade, pois os objetos sobrevoavam suas embarcações. Às vezes, alguns até mergulhavam ao lado delas, nos rios e mares. E a população local passava a noite em claro. As pessoas acendiam fogueiras e soltavam fogos para tentar afugentar os invasores. Foi o pavor que fez com que o prefeito se dirigisse ao comando do Comar pedindo providências, e o brigadeiro mandou que eu fosse investigar as ocorrências.

Revista UFO - Em algum momento houve a participação ou instrução de Brasília para que a situação fosse averiguada?

Hollanda - Na época, não participava das discussões. Era apenas um capitão e recebia ordens, somente. Eu não fiz pane desse trâmite e não sei como as decisões foram tomadas ao certo. Mas, pelo pouco que sei, a decisão foi do comando do Comar. Se houve envolvimento de Brasília, eu não tomei conhecimento.

Revista UFO - como é que o senhor estruturou a Operação Prato? Quantas divisões, quantas pessoas, quantas missões etc? Enfim, como o senhor organizou todas as tarefas?

Hollanda - Bem, nós éramos uma equipe. Eu era o chefe dela. E tínhamos cinco agentes, todos sargentos, que trabalhavam na segunda seção do Comar. Além disso, tínhamos informantes aos montes, gente nos locais de aparição das luzes, em campo, que nos ajudava. Às vezes eu dividia a equipe em duas ou três posições de observação diferentes na mata. Claro que ficávamos constantemente em contato uns com os outros, através de rádio.

Revista UFO - Qual era o objetivo imediato da Operação Prato? Observar discos voadores, fotografá-los e contatá-los?

Hollanda - Olha, eu queria mesmo é tirar à prova essa coisa toda. Queria botar isso às claras. Porque todo mundo falava nas luzes e objetos e até os apelidaram com nomes populares, tais como Chupa-chupa. E a, a FAB precisava saber o que estava realmente acontecendo, já que isso se dava no espaço aéreo brasileiro. Era nossa a responsabilidade de averiguar. Mas no início da Operação Prato, eu queria mesmo era uma confirmação do que estava acontecendo.

Revista UFO - O que motivou a população local a chamar as luzes de Chupa-chupa?

Hollanda - Havia uma série de relatos de pessoas que tinham sido atingidas por um raio de luz. Todas julgavam que o efeito sugava-lhes o sangue. E realmente verificamos alguns casos e descobrimos que várias delas, principalmente mulheres, tinham estranhas marcas em seus seios esquerdos, como se fossem dois furos de agulha em torno de uma mancha marrom. Parecia queimadura de iodo. Então as pessoas tinham o sangue sugado, em pequena quantidade, por aquelas luzes.

Por isso passaram a apelidá-los de Chupa-chupa. Era sempre a mesma coisa: uma luz vinha do nada e seguia alguém, geralmente uma mulher, que era atingida no seio esquerdo. Às vezes eram homens que ficavam com marcas nos braços e nas pemas. Na verdade, a cada dez casos, eram mais ou menos oito mulheres e dois homens.

Revista UFO - E vocês documentaram as marcas verificadas nas pessoas?

Hollanda - Sim, foi tudo visto e analisado por médicos, que às vezes iam conosco aos locais. Sinceramente, eu entrei nessa como advogado do diabo. Queria mesmo era desmistificar essa estória e dizer ao meu comandante que essa coisa não existia, que era alucinação coletiva, sei lá. Achava que alguma coisa estava sendo vista, mas que não era extraterrestre.

Revista UFO - O senhor imaginava que fosse o que, então, que estava sendo visto e até atacando as pessoas?

Hollanda - Não sei bem. Talvez a plumagem de uma coruja refletindo a luz da lua ou alguma outra coisa dessa natureza. Até acreditava em extraterrestres, mas não que as pessoas os estivessem vendo. E eu fui para lá verificar se era realmente isso. Passei pelo menos dois meses respondendo ao meu comandante, quando voltava das missões, que nada havíamos descoberto.

Eram os primeiros dois meses da Operação Prato, nos quais nada vi que pudesse mudar minha opinião. Às vezes passava uma semana no mato e voltava apenas no domingo, para conviver um pouquinho com a família. A cada retorno, meu comandante perguntava:

"Viu alguma coisa? E eu sempre respond ia: Vi luzes estranhas, ao longe, mas nada extraterrestre". De fato, víamos luzes que piscavam, que passavam à baixa altitude, mas nunca nada de muito estranho.

Revista UFO - Isso era durante a noite. E o que acontecia durante o dia? Vocês tinham alguma outra atividade incorporada à Operação Prato?

Hollanda - Sim, tínhamos outras coisas a fazer, que eram parte dos objetivos da operação. Fazíamos entrevistas com pessoas que tiveram experiências, preparávamos os locais para passar a noite e buscávamos lugares "quentes" para fazer vigílias. Quando descobríamos que algo aparecera em tal lugar, para lá nos deslocávamos. Fazíamos um levantamento da situação, e sempre cadastrávamos os nomes dos envolvidos em um formulário próprio.

Revista UFO - Que procedimento ou metodologia era utilizado na colela de informações?

Hollanda - Sempre colocávamos o nome da pessoa que teve a experiência, o local onde ocorreu, horário etc. Fazíamos uma descrição de cada fato ocorrido na mesma localidade. Assim, se acontecessem três casos numa noite, a gente ouvia três testemunhas. Algumas das descrições eram comuns, outras mais estranhas. Às vezes recebíamos relatos de coisas que não podíamos comprovar a autenticidade, como desmaterialização de paredes inteiras ou de telhados, por exemplo.

Revista UFO - Como assim? O senhor tem algum caso para ilustrar esse tipo de ocorrência?

Hollanda - Sim. A primeira senhora que entrevistei em Colares, por exemplo, disse-me coisas absurdas. Tínhamos saído de helicóptero de Belém só para ouvirmos uma mulher que tinha sido atacada pelo Chupa-chupa. Vi que ela tinha realmente uma marca no seio esquerdo. Era marrom, como se fosse uma queimadura, e tinha dois pontos de perfuração. Quando conversamos, relatou-me que estava sentada numa rede fazendo uma criança dormir quando, de repente, o ambiente começou a mudar de temperatura. A senhora achou aquilo esquisito, mas nem imaginava o que iria ocorrer a seguir. Então, deitada na rede, viu que as telhas começaram a ficar avermelhadas, em cor de brasa. Em seguida, ficaram transparentes e ela pôde ver o céu através do telhado. Era como se as telhas tivessem se transformado em vidro. Ela via o céu e até as estrelas.

Revista UFO - Histórias bizarras como essa eram muito comuns durante a execução da operação Prato?

Hollanda - Muito, e me assustavam bastante, porque nunca tinha ouvido falar nessas coisas. Quando ouvia casos assim, ficava cada vez mais preocupado e curioso. Essa gente parecia ser sincera. Por exemplo, através do buraco que a mulher descreveu ela viu uma luz verde brilhando no céu. A senhora então ficou meio dormente, até que, em seguida, um raio vermelho que saiu do UFO atingiu seu seio esquerdo. Era curioso que na maioria das vezes as pessoas eram atingidas do lado esquerdo. E tem mais: exatamente na hora em que estávamos falando disso, uma menina chegou perto e disse:

"Olha, aquilo está passando aqui em cima ". Quando saí da casa, vi cruzar a luz que a moça estava apontando, numa velocidade razoável, ainda que o céu estivesse bastante encoberto. Não era muito veloz e piscava a cada segundo, dirigindo-se ao norte. Parecia até um satélite, só que essa luz voltou em nossa direção - e satélites não fazem isso!

Logo em seguida, aquilo ficou mais estranho ainda. Mesmo assim, não poderia dizer se era uma nave extraterrestre. Aliás, eu não estava lá para classificar qualquer coisa que surgisse como sendo disco voador.

Revista UFO - vocês utilizavam algum tipo de equipamento de radar que pudesse confirmar ou fazer acompanhamento desses fenômenos?

Hollanda - Não. Todos os aeroportos têm radares fixos. Nós não portávamos nada desse tipo.

Revista UFO - Os ataques que estavam acontecendo com certa freqüência eram comunicados ao Governo, às autoridades estaduais ou municipais?

Hollanda - Sim, claro. Vários médicos da Secretaria de Saúde do Pará foram enviados pelo governo para examinar as pessoas. Eles analisavam o lugar queimado e tomavam depoimentos dos pacientes, mas não faziam mais nada - nem tinham como. Algumas vítimas se recuperavam facilmente. Outras ficavam muito apavoradas. Havia umas que diziam ficar enjoadas, com o corpo dormente por vários dias. Um cidadão uma vez veio me procurar para dizer que próximo à sua casa tinha surgido uma luz, que focou um raio brilhante em sua direção. Ele me relatou ter ficado tão apavorado que correu para dentro da casa, pegou uma arma e apontou para a luz. Aí veio outra ainda mais forte que fez com que ele caísse. O pobre coitado passou uns quinze dias com problemas de locomoção, mas não houve nada mais sério.

Ele não foi atingido por nada sólido, como um tiro, por exemplo. Parece que a natureza dessa luz é uma energia muito forte que deixa as pessoas sem movimento. Acredito que as autoridades federais estavam informadas de que esse tipo de ataque a humanos estava acontecendo na região, mas desconheço provas. Eu apenas recebia ordens de meu comandante, mais nada.

Revista UFO - se esses depoimentos foram coletados desde o início da Operação Prato, quando foi que o senhor teve seu primeiro contato frente a frente com UFOS naquela região?

Hollanda - Foi bastante significativo. Certa noite, nossa equipe estava pesquisando na Ilha do Mosqueiro, num lugar chamado Baía de Sol (Editor: um balneário conhecido de Belém, bem próximo a Colares), pois havia informações de que lá estavam acontecendo coisas. E como estávamos investigando todo e qualquer indício de ocorrências ufológicas, fixamo-nos no local. Nesse período, os agentes que tinham mais tempo do que eu nessa operação - já que "peguei o bonde andando" -, questionavam-me o tempo todo, após vermos algumas luzinhas, se eu já estava convencido da existência do fenômeno. Como eu ainda estava indeciso, diziam-me: "Mas capitão, o senhor ainda não acredita?" Eu respondia que não, que precisava de mais provas para crer que aquelas coisas eram discos voadores. Eu não tinha visto, até então, nave alguma. Somente luzes, muitas e variadas. E não estava satisfeito ainda.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict

 Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home
This page was last updated on October 10, 2001.