Cette page en franÁais

Observation reports February 2003:

Some of the UFO observations and ufology news in February 2003 are listed on this page. Please note that these are not studies, but second hand observation reports, although mostly obtained from reliable and well known sources.


Chilean UFO researcher Rodrigo Cuadra reports on February 28, 2003 that a UFO was seen at 06:20 a.m., Friday, February 28, 2003, over Vina del Mar in Chile's 5th Region.

The witness is Mr. Ricardo Barraza, a resident of the Vina del Mar commune, who claims that, as he headed off to work, he looked to the Southern sky, where he noticed a pulsating luminous object that began to move quickly toward the South. He noticed that the light was being followed by an enormous dark mass that was easily concealed by the darkness of the sky at that early hour.


The witness reports from Olympic Mountains:

"We were walking along a dirt road by our place outside of Shelton at 11:30 AM, on February 24, 2003, when I heard a deep roar of a jet engine. I looked up to see what was making the noise, and noticed an airliner going very slow, almost ready to stall, with a small silver disc under the aircraft. I told my wife, and kids to look at that in the sky. We watched the little silver craft pace the larger airliner for ten seconds, then the little disc shot ahead, and above, in front, of the airliner and shot off. They were both heading in a northerly direction at that point."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 8:30 p.m., Dinesh Hukmani was at home in the city of Pune, in Maharashtra state, India when he spotted a UFO.

"I was relaxing on my fifth-floor balcony, gazing at the stars, when suddenly, in the clear sky amidst lots of stars, there appeared this light, star-like but very bright. It appeared out of nowhere, grew in intensity, diminished and then disappeared. It was all over in a matter of three seconds."

Dinesh Hukmani described the UFO as "round in shape, silvery white, star-like, very bright."

Webmaster note: the duration is compatible with a meteor entering the atmosphere from the appropriate direction.


The witness writes from Wisconsin Dells:

"My wife thought she saw a strange star that had "rotating lights" and called me to see it on Feb 23, 2003. She at first thought it was an emergency medical helicopter because it was coming closer. I looked at 12:10 AM, and told her it was just a bright star, but suddenly it moved to the left at an increasing speed and stopped. The lights were red, blue, green, and white. It continued to maneuver, hover then fly from side to side, up and down and at one point dropped straight down about 500 feet in a matter of a second. Then it would stay stationary for ten minutes. I am a public employee and called a friend of mine who was on duty to witness this thing. He is very skeptical, an experimental pilot and flight enthusiast. He admitted that the movements were very odd and he agreed that no plane could move like that, and no helicopter was that fast. It is now twenty minutes since he left and it is making abnormal movements again with bright multiple lights on the object that increased in intensity. The object then moved closer to our house so I went outside, but I could not hear an engine."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness from Puyallup went outside to get some wood on February 23, 2003, and saw three bright red blinking lights that maneuvered in circles and with fast up and down motions and hovered:

"My boyfriend came to look and said it was just because it was so cold outside the air was reflecting the light differently and making the objects move. I went in the house but it was still very active and moved again flashing a reddish color. We watched them for about an hour when another appeared in view and did the same thing except it would go really fast up in the air and then drop back down and do circles and S shapes."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


Six UFOs were seen heading over Cork Harbor at 8:45 PM, on February 23, 2003, in a southwest direction at incredible speed. "They seemed to be in formation in a line, but the extreme right UFO did a slight wobble and then they disappeared out of the line of sight due to a tree in way. They seemed in perfect control. I am well used to seeing shooting stars and normal transatlantic airplane traffic. Most certainly these objects were none of those."

Thanks to Major George A. Filer, ret., "Filer's Files."


The witness reports from Olympia:

"I saw all these orange or yellow lights in the sky on February 23, 2003, at 7:30 PM, that were gliding silently in the shape of a V, the way birds do. The little lights then moved around to form a circle, still gliding across the sky, then back into a giant V. It must have been the area of a football field or two. It started in the southwest and flew northwest. The lights began to dim out and it eventually just disappeared into the clear night sky. The object had a dark shadow around it, like a giant ship with lights on. The lights were literally dancing in the sky. There were two planes in the sky that were flying very slow compared to the UFOs."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness writes about his sighting on February 22, at about 10:00 P.M. in Noisy Le grand, France:

"I am an amateur astronomer, I was in company of 2 other friends, we looked for stars to set up (put our telescopes in position) when we saw (at about 10:00 p.m.) UTC, SE direction, 2 luminous points of low magnitude (distant) distant of one second of arc approximately move symmetrically, slowly in the beginning from right to left, then a great acceleration on a long distance (approximately 2 hands tended on the horizon) in 1 half second, then deceleration and they described a downwards trajectory, then one gone up then the glare decreased quickly and disapoeared. impressive phenomenon. No visible flutter. I hope that another witness will be able to confirm what we saw... "


Ted Phillips, the scientist of the Center For Physical Trace Research which concentrates on UFO reports where physical traces are noted, informs:

02/21/03 - 2200 - Canada, Wellington - 5 witnesses, house lights went out and the - two family dogs reacted. They saw a bright light in the yard, like a camera flash in brightness. They could then see three objects hovering for five minutes. They changed shape and formation, and moved vertically making 90 degree turns. A sixth witness tried to use her cell phone but it wouldn't work properly. The lights climbed at high speed and the house lights came back on. The witnesses found a melted area of snow in a triangle with circles at each tip. The event lasted 25 minutes.

Many thanks to Ted Philipps.


A father and son report from Wellington Cap-Egmont seeing an odd light on top of the Northumberland Strait almost every night from 10 to 11 PM for almost three years:

"It is bright white, then changes orange - Yellow and never makes a sound. It hovers around 100 feet in the air but never takes off from land. At about 10 PM, it just appears and hovers for 15-20 minutes, flies a kilometer east, and returns. On Feb 20, 2003, my friend and I went down to the beach to watch. At 10:15 PM, the light appeared, so we went home to tell my Father. After twenty minutes, at 10:36 PM, it started to move quickly east, then turned and flew west, stopped and became very bright. A second bright light appeared. A jet plane passed between the two bright lights and then a third REALLY bright light appeared. For the first time, we were watching three really bright lights until 11:15 PM, when they just disappeared."

Thanks to Brian Vike, field investigator for HBCC.


On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 2:40 a.m., the female witness "was up with her baby at 2:40 a.m. and has a great view of Hudson Bay Mountain in Smithers (population 5,624)," a small city on Canada's province of British Columbia. "Her blinds were semi-open and allowed her to see a very bright light crossing the mountain, and then coming to a complete stop over one of the longest (ski) runs, which is called 'Cold Smoke.' She went on to say that the light was 'dead center over the run,' and wondered if it was just hovering, or 'maybe' it had landed."

"She also reported hearing a clicking sound from the direction of the object. The object moved from east to west before coming to a complete stop over the run. Approximately five minutes went by, and a Canadian Pacific train could be heard coming in the distance, and the object disappeared, in her words, 'turned off.'"

Many thanks to Canadian ufologist Brian Vike, HBCC, for this report.


The witness reports from Springfield:

"I don't know how exciting this is, but I was laying in bed on Feb 19, 2003, trying to get to sleep and the neighbors dog was barking at 11 PM. A few seconds after the dog stopped barking, a loud hum started to be heard and I felt an electric feeling. The whole time I was laying in bed listening to the hum there was no other sound. It could be a generator but it seemed to be radiate from above my house. Once the hum stopped all the usual noises started back."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


At 6:20 PM, the witness from Billings was walking north shortly after sunset on February 18, 2003, and noticed an airliner approaching and saw two black fluttering objects moving towards the east: "They sort of dipped and weaved across the sky. I noticed a small orange light coming from the rear of the objects. I thought that they were stealth fighter aircraft, however, there were no lights and no sound. They soon disappeared in the east. This was the second time in two weeks that I have seen these strange objects."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


HINGURAKGODA -- A military officer reports:

"We were playing soft ball cricket on the Air force grounds on February 18, 2003. At about 5:15 PM, one of the players showed me something in the sky at sunset moving very slowly to the left side of the mountains. It was a stick shaped shining object in gold color that was observed for eight minutes. It was about 50 km away from us at an altitude estimated to be 5000 feet. We checked with radar and there were no aircraft airborne at that time."

Thanks to this officer and to Major George A. Filer, ret, "Filer's Files."


The observer from Roslindale states:

"On my way to work, walking down a road, on February 17, 2003, about 5:30 AM, before sunrise, I saw a descending shape, like an airplane above the city's skyscrapers. I assumed the craft to be an airplane landing at the local airport, but it was larger than most, and as it glided it was a strange color unlike any airplane. Also, it glowed with a strange orange luminous crackle, and when I looked at it for very long, it hurt my eyes to do so. Black dots seemed to float around this thing, but I thought it might have been a trick of my eye. I am convinced that it was a vehicle meant for flight, but not of any human construction that I know."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 10:35 p.m., eyewitness M.D. spotted two luminous UFOs in Fort Collins, Colorado (population 118,652). "I just saw them hovering over," M.D. reported, "They would move higher and lower according to the clouds. When a cloud was near, they moved up. And when it passed, they would appear closer to the ground again."

"I saw two bright lights very close together. They would come together and form one light. I got binoculars to see a closer view. There were red, blue, yellow and green lights. It seemed to have a triangular formation with a red light on top and many other different colors on the bottom. There were at least five (UFOs) in the area."

"They were moving quite a bit in the same area but stayed in the same vicinity for a substantial amount of time. Every once in a while, they seemed to shut off lights and/or have bright lights circling around the object. They seemed to be tilting in my direction."

Many thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO Roundup, for this email form report.


A young student witness of Bowie was outside looking at the snow on the ground at 6 PM, with his dog on Feb 16, 2003, when a snowflake went in his eye. The student states:

"With all of the clouds in the sky, I knew that I wasn't going to see much, but looking up I realized there was a weird flashing light up in the sky." I got a little freaked out when it got closer; and a new set of lights appeared through the clouds, and then another set came down. Each one had eight different sets of flashing lights. Then my dog started to bark and the lights lit up as if they heard her. The lights got brighter and brighter, and I heard a loud shrieking noise and yet despite the pain I kept looking up. My dog got scared and ran with her tail tucked under her. Then a beam of light flashed on my face and then my body and I fell as if someone ousted me! Then with a flash of light they disappeared, except for one that lingered there for a moment flashing it's lights as if it was trying to communicate. I didn't feel scared, but rather safe. Then just like the others, it went away in a flash! I remained still and then went inside and started to feel things I've never felt before. A new part of me had just been awakened."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness was monitoring the 8 PM radio transmissions of Burbank Airport Police units talking to each other on their radio's. The various police units in different locations were observing six objects flying over the Burbank Airport on February 16, 2003:

"They were discussing six flying saucers and contacted the tower. The tower contacted the Burbank police helicopter that began searching for the objects. I'm sure all of this radio traffic was recorded by the city of Burbank 911 center. Also, the tower transmissions would be recorded by the FAA. I, personally, did not see the craft and only heard the radio communications."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness reports from Camano Island:

"It was a raining on February 16, 2003, when my husband just laid down when our dogs started to act funny and he heard a humming sound in his ears. About 10:30 PM, he looked out to see a diamond shaped object go over the top of our home that was very high up and going faster than an airplane. It had neon lights all around it and it was diamond shaped. After it went over the house it shot down to the south end of Camano Island."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness writes from Quail Valley:

"On February 16, 2003, a vertical elongated diamond shaped light in sky was flashing every five seconds for 15 minutes. It faded away at 9:30 PM, and reminded me of the shape of a sword or an elongated diamond. It had a main light in the center and emitted a vertical flashing light."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness, a clinical social worker in Kenilworth, was driving east on Route 22, on February 16, 2003, and saw something crossing over Route 22 at 3:10 PM, about a mile in front of him or less:

"It appeared to be only a few hundred feet above the ground, and looked like someone hang gliding, but what was hanging beneath was too big to be a person. As I am approaching the object the traffic is building and slowing in front of me, so they may also have seen the object. As it passed practically directly over me, it appeared to float on the wind and was a dull orange two-tone. I pulled in to a business parking lot to continue watching. The top was shaped like a kite or hang glider that was an estimated fifteen feet across or more and ten feet or more from front to rear. Hanging from it was a cylindrical shaped object that was at least 30 feet long and the last seven feet was curled up in the rear like a seahorse's tail. It was just about to snow storm and the sky was gray and it was windy."

"As the object flew southwest, gaining altitude, I saw a similar object behind the first the same shape, color and texture but two-thirds its size. I became excited that it would join the first. It flew above and directly behind, then passed on the side. It continued southwest but the first flew northwest and disappeared. Later it flew over Route 22, while the second object disappeared flying southwest. The whole event only lasted 7 minutes."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The notifier reports from Milwaukee:

"My 21 year old son came home from work at 7:10 PM on February 15, 2003, all upset and scared. He was so wound up I had a problem getting him calm. Both he and a friend were driving on Highway 100, when his friend saw a round or rectangular craft with lights hovering above them. My son almost got in an accident looking at it as they both freaked out because it looked like an alien craft. It hovered for ten minutes and disappeared."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness writes from Birmingham:

"My sister and her family were looking out of a window in the family home at 8:30 PM on February 15, 2003, at what they thought was a particularly bright star in the clear night sky. Almost immediately everyone witnessed the "star" start to flash in different colors. No sense of distance could be obtained, other than to observe that what they thought at first to be a star was considerably brighter than any other within their view. The observation lasted unbroken for two hours, in which time it did not appear to move at all."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


On February 15, 2003, the observer from Virginia Beach was standing on her porch at 4 AM, when suddenly behind her the sky lit up a bright green for a second or two. She states:

"I quickly turned around and a few seconds later another bright emerald green flash lit up the sky like lightning for another second or two. I got my boyfriend and waited for something else to happen, but nothing did, but I was scared."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


The witness reports from Brooklyn that he woke up at 5:30 AM and looked out his window on February 11, 2003, and saw a light like a star, but it was too close to be a star and very bright.

The witness states: "I immediately picked up my camera starting filming, and as I zoomed in closer the object started to change size, its light dimmed then got real bright. I thought it could be a chopper but then suddenly this thing had a shinning ring under it. I could see a shadow or something was flying around it with some other form of lights. It was near the Verrazano Bridge."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.

Planets such a Venus, when filmed on modern videocam with digital zooms, can create unbelievable effects.


A witness from Duncan phoned Brian Vike to tell him, "He was walking his dog when he observed a circular object with a ring of fire around it on Feb 10, 2003, at 6 PM." His dog was going crazy from the object that was the size of a dinner plate five blocks away. The ring which surrounded the object would twirl around the main body with blue, green, colors. It would move up and down, when it got close to the cloud cover it would change to all the different colors, but when it dropped back down at a lower level the color changed to an orange. The dog took a bite at his owner's foot, as it was afraid. The witness was phoning from a friend's home and his dog was still acting up. While chatting on the phone, he gave out a loud cry and said there was a bright white streak of light from the object with a short trail of some of the colors was coming off it as it disappeared."

Thanks to Brian Vike, field investigator for HBCC.


On February 10, 2003, when the witness heard a loud bang and when he looked out of his window in Renkum at 1:15 AM, he saw a green/yellow flashing object moving fast across the sky. He double checked and the object was still there. It was a circle which was flashing in the center of the sky. It moved very fast front left to right and from up to down. It had a very odd appearance and he never saw such a thing like this.

Thanks to George Filer, Filers' Files.


The witness was looking out his bedroom window in Waterford, Michigan, on February 9, 2003, at 7:30 PM, and noticed three lights in a triangle. He reports, "I could clearly see the outline of a dark craft that was larger than a semi-truck that moved behind some trees about fifty yards away. There were three steady dull lights kind of like street lights several blocks away. After a few seconds I got up and opened the front window and leaned out from the waist up. There were a few planes in the distance and a small jet like plane following the path of the flying triangle. There were clouds in the sky to the southeast so I could no longer see the craft. I am not sure what it was, but it was large and ominous."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness reports from Budapest that he observed a UFO at 9:10 PM, on February 9, 2003, that looked like a big circle. Some friends were traveling in their car when this big flying object appeared above them. He writes, "The engine of the car stopped, and we couldnít hear any sounds, after two minutes there was a strong light, and the object disappeared."

Thanks to George Filer, Filers' Files.


The witness reports from Stamford that he was warming up the car on a cold clear night at 7:54 PM, on February 9, 2003, and he noticed a brightly lit white object that was moving slowly north.

"I thought it might be a private, single engine plane but there was no sound of prop or engine and the light was unlike any I have seen on any aircraft. After three seconds it disappeared. I stood outside of my car for a few more minutes to see if the object would return but only a small jet with pulsing lights and a prop aircraft flew over, but these were not the same object."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


On Sunday, February 9, 2003, the US Fox News TV network aired a five minute segment on the recently reported lights above Loch Ness in Scotland. They interviewed the witness via phone. Although the interview and the video are not in themselves exceptional, it is rare and therefore noteworthy that an alleged video footage is shown on a large TV network.


Chatham. The witness and his friend were walking outside on February 8, 2003, and they noticed a plane flying overhead at 9:15 PM, but didnít think much of it. They went on the opposite sides of the street to test how far their Walkie-talkies could communicate.

The witness stated, "I looked up at the sky and the lights reappeared, they were very close to me, and I saw three lights in a triangle type shape and the craft was the same color of the night." At this point I was ecstatic and I started running towards my friend screaming and telling him to look at the object. We saw it start to descend towards an abandoned property that I believe was about a half mile away. It hovered down unlike a plane. Also, the craft was silent."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness reports from Essex Fells that on February 8, 2003, at 3 PM, he was looking out the window, and noticed an airliner in the Newark Airport landing pattern. He states, "My attention was drawn to two points of light that were following the airliner, at a much higher altitude. The lights circled, flew straight then circled each other, and then disappeared. A third light joined in the dance. All were fading in and out and displaying unusual changes in motion. I called to my son Christopher to come and see if he saw them and he did. We both watched as the points of light continued to circle each other, disappear, and reappear again slightly different points in the sky. We both watched, and the lights moved towards each other, were gone, back, etc. The objects brightened at times, pulsing, and disappeared throughout the observation. One last point of light, appearing farther distant than the others moved eastward and disappeared. The elapsed time was about four minutes. At first I thought what I was seeing was some refraction in the window I was looking through, but after calling my son who had a slightly different perspective and was seeing the same thing."

Thanks to MUFON Headquarters, MUFONHQ@aol.com, WUFOD, and George Filer.


The witness reports from Brisbane:

"Standing in my front yard on February 7, 2003, I looked at the sky wondering if I would see a shooting star and a moving object caught my eye at 10:45 PM. I observed three lights in a perfect triangular formation change direction and move quickly across the sky without making a sound. The lights were dim but bright enough to watch as they disappeared over the horizon. Iíve seen satellites and this object wasnít one. It moved from just above the south western horizon to disappear over the north eastern horizon within 30 seconds. The lights were white in color but quite dull. Just before it disappeared, the object came to a complete halt, remaining perfectly still for about 10-15 seconds. My two dogs were locked up at the time, but when I let them out into the back yard they whimpered and barked at the sky. They have never done this previously."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness reports from Miami Florida he and his Dad were driving along 88th Street approaching 157 Avenue on February 6, 2003, at 7:51 PM when they looked to the right and noticed, in a near distance, an oval like object hovering over some lights. He states, "At first I thought it might be a blimp, but then I started studying the object and noticed it had an oval shape, but one end was not the same proportion, so it appeared as a teardrop."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


VENETO -- The Italian National Center for Ufology reports a cylindrical and luminous UFO was sighted between the localities of Monselice and Stanghella, near Tribano. The UFO sighted February 3, 2003, was of great dimensions and displayed a cylindrical form with a metallic appearance. It had multicolored lights and was moving in a north to south direction without making any sound. Finally the UFO continued its quick movements until disappearing over the horizon.

Thanks to http://www.cun-veneto.it/news/tribano200302.htm


WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE -- A married couple left Jeffersonville around 9 PM, on February 6, 2003, when a large, orange light appeared in front of them. On the other side of Court House the same light appeared for about four seconds, faded, then another to the right quickly blinked then went out and the light on the left lit up again. About three miles down the road the lights came on again and they pulled over and saw four flying blinking lights on what they thought were planes. They continued driving and, "The lights were a single, strobe-like light on each one, that would blink quickly, then would go off, and then blink slowly. My husband noticed one going left, then stall, and change direction quickly going back to the right." They moved into pairs moving around in the sky going different speeds. They seemed very far away which would make the speed even greater. Iíve never seen a plane change direction, or speed like these did. At Frankfort we got off to get a better look and two lights lined up. The other two came in and joined the line in the middle of these. Their lights rarely blinked and the two on the outside began a patterned blink. As they flew away 8 to 10 separate lights in a row blinked."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness writes from Livermore:

"I was driving north on Route 680 near Pleasanton on February 4, 2003, and as I came down the mountain pass at 11 PM, I saw two shooting stars come down and split directions. I looked out my right hand window and saw the bottom of a circular dark disk 'float' past with an "eclipse" on the bottom. I'm highly positive what I saw was a craft of some sort, and I know I saw the shooting stars just before the UFO? It may have been the same thing. There were no lights as it floated by, just the grayness of the bottom of the disk."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


Brian Vike reports: "A couple of days ago, I reported that a Camphor Sawmill employee witnessed three blue/white lights in a triangular shape flying low over him, on February 3, 2003, at 8:10 AM. The object moved very quickly and disappeared over a mountain."

Brian found a second witness to the sighting who works for Houston Forest Products, and was operating a heavy machine in the log yard when an "extremely" bright yellow/orange light caught his attention. The light was coming from the northern side of Pea Cock Mountain. There was a low lying fog in the valley that morning and there was an intense bright light over it on an object larger than a helicopter. The object at a distance of two kilometers on Pea Cock Mountain on a logged off area, that sat either hovering, or "sat on the ground" for about 40 seconds. The light was gray/white with changing color, as if it was translucent (almost as if it was flickering in and out). The craft was oval in shape with this bright yellow/orange light dead center at the bottom. It rose up only a little, and flew south heading to the top of Pea Cock Mountain. But before it even came close to the top of the mountain, it completely disappeared or just blinked out. Computer image at:



"I went out to look on February 3, 2003, because my sister called me, and I saw it just over the city horizon towards the south. It was moving slowly from west to east, after almost three minutes at 6:45 PM, it disappeared because of the trees and the houses. It was very big almost like a Zeppelin, but I think it was not one. It reminded me of a mother ship not like the small ones that you see in pictures. It had lights all over, blinking lights, but not very bright. Later, after 20 or 25 minutes it came back in the opposite direction, but it was farther away."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC director.


See here.

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on February 22, 2004