-> HomeHome
Cette page en français

Observation reports December 2002:

Some of the UFO observations in December 2002 are listed on this page. Please note that these are not studies, but second hand observation reports, although mostly obtained from reliable and well known sources.


On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 11:30 p.m., S.M.F. and her friend were walking along Stony Brook in Oxyhead, New York when they noticed a strange object approaching from the north.

"I had to drop something off with one of my friends," she explained, "I was walking that night with my friend. The UFO hovered over a baseball field and playground right across from the Knolls," near Stony Brook. "The UFO was spherical, and it had blue and green lights flashing. It reminded me of the red circle on a Coca Cola truck."

The girls watched the UFO for a couple of minutes before it suddenly darted away.

Thanks to Joseph Trainor's UFOroundup for this email foem report.


On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 1:40 a.m., D.J. Gillett "and a companion were on some land close to Highway 81, about a mile out of Powers, Okla., which is 25 miles west of Oklahoma City. At 1:40 a.m., we had just turned onto (Highway) 81 facing north and a bright orange-red object appeared in the sky. We had been out driving and watching for tornadoes, and the appearance of the object was quite evident in the overcast sky."

"I should stress that the object simply appeared. It did not drift in from the horizon or zoom into sight. It simply appeared instantly in the sky, but this is only my perception."

"Well, the object initially appeared as a point of light and gradually grew in intensity for 40 to 50 seconds until it was twice as bright as the brightest star in the sky. At this point, it suddenly ’separated’ into two other lights."

"When the object separated, it produced a brilliant burst of orange-red light with a touch of white. But this could be a simple misperception on my part as we were having difficulty viewing it properly due to clouds. The objects then took off at an incredible speed and vanished off towards the south on parallel courses."

He described the two objects as "orange-red in color, spherical, no reflective field. No evidence of light scatter. The new objects remained uniform, spherical and the same color but duller in appearance."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor's UFOroundup for this email foem report.


On November 19, UFO investigators Budd Hopkins, historian and ufologist Dr. David Jacobs and psychiatrist and abduction researcher Dr. John Mack headlined a UFOlogy symposium that was Webcast live from New York City's Regency Hotel. SciFi.com has made a part of the symposium available as live audio webcast on http://www.scifi.com/ufo/webcast


Canadian ufologist Brian Vike reports that on Friday, December 27, 2002, "four men were working around the logging camp just across Babine Lake from Granisle, B.C." when "one of the workers gave out a loud cry, telling the others to look. Half a kilometer to the north, they all witnessed a bright, white-yellowish light coming from behind the trees. At that point, all that was visible was a brightness showing above the trees."

"To their shock, a large, glowing, golden-orange, disk-shaped object, with a large halo of white around the craft, rose up in the distance and stopped and hovered." Vike was "told they observed the object for approximately 10 seconds, at the most, which the fellow said ’seemed like a lifetime.’"

"As the object moved away from their location, heading roughly to the north, they lost sight of the craft quickly. But after losing sight of the object itself, they still could see the bright light (halo) ’for another five minutes. The light moved faster and disappeared.’"

Many thanks to Brian Vike for this report.


A family reunion turned into a startling UFO encounter in Australia’s state of New South Wales. David M. reports, "I had travelled from Sydney for a traditional Christmas Day gathering with my family in Wellington, New South Wales."

Two days after Christmas, on Friday, December 27, 2002, David decided to go fishing with his cousin, D.G., and his uncle, B.G., and the trio "headed for an exclusive location along the Macquarie River near Terrabella and Ponto, west of Geurie, N.S.W.," about 300 kilometers (180 miles) northwest of Sydney. "With my cousin, D.G., and my uncle, B.G., I’d been moving up and down the river in a small boat, from about 2 p.m. to about midnight. The stars became our natural light on the river that night. We couldn’t see the moon; therefore the stars were very bright."

"Around 10 p.m., I started to do some star-watching" and saw "a moving star. This moving star was heading south at the time. But I thought to myself...Just another satellite...and I didn’t make much of it." "But about 10:30 p.m. that night, my star-watching became more of a mystery. I saw three moving stars together." Soon David was "grabbing the attention of my cousin and uncle with screams of ’Look! Look up there! What is that!?’"

"Together we watched three fast-moving stars travelling from the southwest heading northeast for approximately one minute. They formed a perfect triangle, two travelling in front and one travelling behind. The last moving star then pulled back from the leaders, whilst one of the leaders also pulled back into the middle position. This new positioning happened during a five-second time frame; then the moving stars went back to their original triangle position." "We chatted amongst ourselves about what we just saw, and we don’t have any explanation for the event other than a UFO sighting. They were constantly changing colour from a white to an orange-red. They were about four times as fast as a Boeing 747."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFOroundup, for this email form report.


On Thursday, December 26, 2002, Kat. R. reported, "My husband and I were traveling north from Wisconsin Rapids where we had purchased a snowmobile that evening. We decided to go to Abbotsford (Wisconsin) and then west to Chippewa Falls (Wisconsin) and then on to Duluth (Minnesota). The sky was very clear, all the stars visible and tiny airplanes all around like twinkling red and green stars, all very distant. The Big Dipper was directly ahead."

"We were somewhere north of Marshfield when at 8:50 p.m. we saw a round, green-colored object that came from the left side of the windshield view, and our first thought was that we were going to witness the crash of something as it was coming in at an angle of left to right, top to bottom across the windshield!"

"We realized it couldn’t be a plane as there was only the green color. There was no pulsing or flashing or quirky moves, just the same speed, almost like slow motion in a sense, although we were so locked into what we were seeing, time seemed to stand still. Tail like a comet, no flames, and close enough, it seemed, that were it a plane, we could’ve seen the shape of the tail, etc." "At the time we were driving on a slight S-curve and coming up an incline with a bank of trees on the right. I watched to the east all the way to Abbotsford, with nothing further to be seen."

"As we discussed the (object’s) size, we felt that it you held your hand at arm’s length toward the windshield with a dime in your hand, you would have the approximate size of the object we saw."

Many thanks to John Hoppe of UFO Wisconsin for this report.


On Saturday, December 21, 2002, the witness reported, "I was on the ferry going" across the Strait of Georgia "from Victoria, B.C. to Vancouver, B.C." on Canada's west coast. "At 9:20 a.m., I went out on the deck to have a cigarette. I was the only one out at that time because it was quite cool and windy. There was a blue sky but with lots of clouds that were moving quite fast because of the wind."

"I saw a white ball or sphere-shaped object approaching a cloud. It didn't move very fast. It seemed to float, but I know it wasn't a balloon. It was very white. It didn't look very big, but who can tell at that height? I watched it for about ten seconds, not taking my eyes off it."

"As it was approaching the cloud and then was covered by the wind, I waited for it to reappear after the wind moved the cloud, but I never saw it again. It either moved with the cloud or disappeared. It was moving in a northwesterly direction until it was covered by the cloud. Then I don't know what happened to it. The length of the event took approximately 10 to 15 seconds."

Thanks to Canadian ufologist Brian Vike, HBCC, for the report.


On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 11 a.m., Linda G. was outdoors on a break and walking along when she spotted a UFO over a vacant parking lot off North Point Parkway in Alpharetta, Georgia (population 34,854). "While I was alone and walking on my break at work, I saw a very large white glowing object in the sky about the size of a small airplane but completely round," Linda reported, "It seemed to drift like a very large balloon. I thought maybe it was a blimp, but it was completely white and radiated" light.

"It came to hover above me, then continued to go to the right of me and then began to rise in the sky and went behind some clouds, leaving just a glowing light, until it disappeared. It moved as if it was gliding, picking up speed as it moved past me."

"It sort of zeroed in on me. I felt as if there was an entity in the craft, or someone was looking at me the same way I was looking at it. After being noticed, it then decided to drift away."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFOroundup, for this email form report.


On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 6 a.m., Joy W. was driving to work through Small Heath, near Birmingham, UK, when she spotted an unusual bright light in the sky.

"A very bright white light approached from the east, travelling very fast in a straight line, too fast for a plane," Joy reported, "Constant brightness. At first I thought it was a very large shooting star. But it kept at the same height."

"It was a bright silver light, star-like but bigger than a star, roundish in shape. The sky was clear. I was about four miles (7 kilometers) from the Birmingham airport. It could not have been a plane as it was like a ball of very bright light, even as it was going away from me."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFOroundup, for this Email form report.


NotiOVNI for December 22, 2002 informs that on Monday, December 16, 2002, at 7:07 p.m., according to Marisa Rodriguez, editor of the magazine Too Much, singer Deborah Sachs and her agent, Ingrid Angulo, observed a strange object suspended silently in the southeastern sky, displaying intermittent red and yellow lights 'dispersed in the form of a wedding ring.' This UFO rose in the air to an altitude of 120 meters (396 feet) above the buildings in the Los Riscos area of Caracas. The object finally departed and was lost in the horizon.

Thanks to Daniel Munoz and Martha Rosenthal.


CNN announced that "two Air Force F-16 fighters were scrambled Monday, December 16 2002, at 10:30 AM, after radar detected a potential violation of the 15-mile restricted flight zone around the nation's capital, said officials with the North American Aerospace Defense Command. Officials speculated either a flock of birds or an anomaly caused by high winds resulted in the radar reading, which indicated a possible flight violation 18 miles northwest of Reagan National Airport. F-16s maintained a combat air patrol over Washington for at least an hour, and air traffic was halted briefly."


NotiOVNI for December 22, 2002 informs that on Friday, December 13, 2002, at 6:30 p.m., Prof. Amelia Santodomingo observed a giant luminous sphere with multicolored lights hovering over the Paseo de Los Proceres. Later the same evening, three witnesses observed the same luminous sphere over the barrio Galipan (neighborhood) in the vicinity of Cerro Avila (hill). The large object flew circles above this area, then retreated towards the mountains where it finally disappeared.

Thanks to Daniel Munoz and Martha Rosenthal.


The witness writes from Denver:

"It was a 'v' shaped object with a main set of lights on the front at 1100 PM, on Dec 13, 2002. I couldn't count them. Possibly about ten. Behind these lights there were several dimmer ones possibly defining more of the object. It looked like there may have been smaller lights around it. It was fairly large and it was moving east to west just above the tree line. I estimate that it was moving at 200mph. It was about 200 yards up and 1/8th of a mile south of me. It didn't make any noise and it completely disappeared."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness reports from Congerstone:

"On Dec 12, 2002,the sky was bright over the fields we could see the northern lights at 10:56 PM. To our right hovering stationary for 5 to10 minutes just above trees, we saw a shining a bright light. It was very difficult to see any shape, because the light was so bright. Then it rose slowly and gracefully into the air a few meters away and came overhead, very low and very quietly, gliding above us and disappeared out of view. We ran outside to watch as it went over with its colored blue, red yellow and white lights that were fairly dim now. We think it was a Diamond shape and a second craft followed its path, but this had a more familiar shape."

Thanks to George Filer, filersfiles.


A picture and a blueprint of the German Horten IX flying wing prototype of 1945 has been circulated again among ufology circle in South America and several ufologists there have expressed their belief that "it is proof of alien visitation in the Third Reich."

This is all nonsense; if you need further information on the Horten flying wongs check this section of my site.


On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 9:30 a.m., an enormous silver UFO in the form of a spinning top flew over rooftops in Bogota. The object was captured on video when it passed over a football field where a local Bogota team was holding a practice scrimmage.

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFOroundup, for this Email form report.


A reader of this site writes to me that "Sunday, several witnesses observed the crash of what seemed to be a plane on the Mountain of the Star (Serra da Estrela), in the North-East of Portugal. An explosion followed by a large flash were noted by these same witnesses. Radar did not detect anything. Firemen made research the same Sunday evening (December 9, 2002), without success and started again their search on Monday, Décembre 10, 2002. It was presented on the TV then, but now silence is total. What has crashed? Meteor, UFO ..."

"If I have news about this, I will forward any interesting information to you."

Thanks to this reader. Any additional information may be sent to ufologie@ufologie.net (this site's author).


NotiOVNI reports that "On Wednesday, December 8, 2002, ufologist Carlos Clemente of Grupo Los Vigilantes reported that, for seven minutes, a spherical UFO was videotaped over Polanco, a town north of Mexico City. Clemente reported that the object was seen by many witnesses. During the period of observation, no airplanes were reported in the vicinity, which is unusual because Polanco is directly beneath the commercial jet lane between Mexico City and the USA."

See also the Mexican newspaper El Bravo of Matamoros for December 8, 2002.


The witness reports from Bellingham:

On Dec 8, 2002, the dogs went crazy at about 8:45 PM, with the amazing light display on a cold, but clear night. The witness was standing out side, "watching my husband chopping fire wood, when all the dogs of Sudden Valley started howling. I heard a strange loud eerie hum that went low to high then back to low. I asked my husband what was that and we heard it one more time. My husband yelled, "That's what made the noise!" There was a flash of lights circling a ship that was standing motionless a 1000 feet above us. Then it began to move and the lights on this object flashed different colors. A red light that made the shape of circle seem to come from the top of the ship cascading down to the base of the ship showing the true size. It was Huge! Then once the red circle reached the base of the center of the bottom of the ship four lines on each side of the circle in the center of the ship went from the center to the outer part of the ship four on each side. The lines of light went from the center to the outside then lights completed a circle of the outside of the ship. It was an amazing display of a light show that kept repeating the pattern of lights. It was flying south then in seconds it was going west like the shape of an L.directly down our street. I ran down the road too keep it in sight. I saw the side view and it was the shape of a huge top hat with a circular base that was at least 200 feet in diameter."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness writes from Sharpville:

"On December 8, 2002, I was driving on the Charleston Road at 7:45 PM, with my friend when I saw two definite aircraft hovering in the West. It appeared a beam of light emanated from one of the objects. They disappeared after the beam ceased."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC.


The witness emailed me:

"I was shopping close to the Spanish border (near Vielha I believe) when behind the valley, a blue, splendid blue light appeared, and progressed rather slowly. The cloud cover being important, the UFO did not appear, it was to be in the clouds. It was between 04:00 P.M. and 06:00 P.M. on Sunday December 8, 2002."

I obtained the following details while dialoguing with this witness: the blue color is what was the most surprising for him, it was an abnormal blue, "frankly not natural." The localization of this light was not above a large city, but above the mountains, low in the sky, the observation lasted 30 minutes approximately. There was "like a more luminous central part," no sound or noise, it seemed rather distant. There was neither rain nor wind, but many clouds which made that the visibility of the phenomenon was probably affected by these clouds, it was not possible to determine if the phenomenon was behind or in these clouds. The witness was on the French side of the border.


Early in 2003 the giant radio telescope at Arecibo used by the SETI project to search for possible intelligent extraterrestrial radio signal will devote 24 to revisit places where the 100 most promosing candidate signals were detected, rather than search the vastness of space at random as usual.

It will focus its attention on a list of 100 most promising locations, handed to the telescope operators by SETI@home scientists. All of these are locations in the sky where SETI@home had detected radio signals at least twice before.

In preparation for those very special 24 hours, SETI scientists have been making a concerted effort to compile the best possible list of signals. Since more than 5 billion gaussians, spikes, and triplets have been detected so far by SETI@home users around the world, coming up with a list of the 100 most promising signals has been no easy task.

After removing signals that resulted from data corruption resulting of computer errors, of human-made radio transmissions generated by radars, satellites, radios, which operate in the vicinity of Arecibo, they were still left with several billion signals. Each must therefore be assigned a score, representing the likelihood that it is, in fact, an alien transmission.

It is these top 100 scorers that will be monitored again at Arecibo in the beginning of 2003, where their location will receive at least a third visit by the giant radio telescope. SETI scientists will also rank the signals according to what they estimate is probable life location, eliminating short-living star systems, signals coming from empty space, and they will favor signals coming from main sequence stars where exoplanets have been discovered.

Signals that were unique events and were not detected again at the same location have been eliminated as evidence of extraterrestrial presence.


On Friday, December 6, 2002, according to Mexican ufologist Alberto Gomez, a UFO was sighted by two police officers in Matamoros, a city in the state of Tamaulipas, just across the Rio Grande from Brownsville, Texas, USA. "Police officer Jaime Mata and his partner, Juan Reynaldo Najera, saw a UFO over the east side of Matamoros. According to the officers, the UFO was white and "four times brighter than a star" and moved at a very high altitude over the neighborhood of Nueva Jerusalem."

"The UFO was also seen by two other officers, Rosalio Gomez and Juan Carlos Garcia Moreno, who said the UFO 'had several lights on it.' The blinking lights were red, green, orange and yellow. They radioed their watch commander, Captain Jose Luis Valdez, who also saw the slow-moving object."


Ufology sources in Latin America report that "on Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 8:15 p.m., a luminous UFO was captured on video over the city of Cuernavaca in the state of Morelos."

"The video taken by Armado Marquez shows the slow maneuvers of a strange object with a very intense luminosity. The UFO finally disappeared over Chalma, a suburb southeast of Cuernavaca. But then, several minutes later, the UFO abruptly reversed its trajectory and flew back over Cuernavaca before disappearing completely."


MUFONGA, MUFON Georgia, reports that a source of information from a really sharp, intelligent, and observant female resident whose father is a 33 year veteran airline pilot, and her husband a veteran Marine. This witness indicated that shortly after 6 AM on Monday, Dec 2, 2002, she went onto her porch to feed her cats. She noticed a stationary blinking light above/through the pine trees across her street, where no blinking light should have been. She observed more closely and found it to be similar to a beacon light and she timed the flashes to about every eight seconds. She added that it appeared to be like a light on top of one of the satellite antennas, but no such array exists in that area. She later described it to her husband who told her of his experience during the same time frame. He arrives at his work location about 6:00 AM, which is about ten miles from home. About 6:25 AM, that morning, he and a couple of his associates were outside and observed some sort of triangular appearing craft silently "zip" across the sky. It was just beginning to get light outside, with only tree outlines visible. The flying triangle had one light in the center and may have been about the size of baseball at arm's length.

Thanks to Tom Sheets, State Director MUFONGA, and George Filer, filersfiles.


On Sunday, December 1, 2002, "a brilliant sphere of white light similar to a fireworks display" flew over the city of Caracas, the capital of Venezuela. According to Venezuelan ufologist Martha Rosenthal, six eyewitnesses "watched the glowing sphere pass overhead."

One of the eyewitnesses, "a man named Cortez," reported the UFO overflight to Señora Rosenthal.

Thanks to NotiOVNI, December 1, 2002, and to Scott Corrales and Martha Rosenthal.

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on January 3, 2002.