Your sightings -> HomeHome
Cette page en franšais

Your sighting reports:

See here for reporting information.


Basic indications:

Date written:August 2, 2006
Date received:August 2, 2006
Date published:August 18, 2006
Date of sighting:August 1965
Place of sighting:USA, Oklahoma, Tulsa
Original language of report:English
Reported using:e-mail
Unreleased information:Name, firstname, street address, phone, email address
Investigation, additional information:None
Explanation:Not looked for

The report:

Subject: Sighting report
Date: August 2, 2006
From: [eMail]

I don't remember which day it was, but I do remember it was between my father's and mother's birthdays. It was a very hot day in Tulsa, Oklahoma in August of 1965. I was a boy and the house we lived in had no airconditioning, so I went outside to find a cool spot. The air was very still. Sundown was near. I couldn't find a place on the ground where it was breezy, but the leaves in the top of the neighbor's tree moved about lightly. I had already been warned about climbing the tree next door so that option was out. Our garage's peak was close to the same height as the treetop, so I decided to climb up on the roof to take advantage of the little bit of wind I found. Luckily for me the spot I chose also faced west. While enjoying the breeze I could take in what might be a beautiful sunset.

My dad would have killed me if he knew I was climbing on his roof, but I was willing to take the chance in order to be a little cooler. I forget exactly how I got up there. Soon I was perched on the gable of the garage with a very good view of downtown Tulsa. We lived on Oklahoma Street near Sheridan Road which is around five miles from downtown as the crow flies. The sun was setting when I spotted what looked like a small airplane coming from the north heading towards downtown. I could not make out the plane in the dusk, but I was sure that was what it was. Red and green lights were blinking on it just like the lights on any airplane would. The plane was traveling quite slowly, but I didn't really think too much about it. In those days there were a lot of planes that traveled slowly. As it got darker, the aircraft moved closer to downtown. I knew there was an airport somewhere near downtown so all the events seemed natural.

One of the car dealerships must have been having a sale because a spotlight fired up and started sweeping a circle above downtown Tulsa. As the spotlight circled, the plane moved over the downtown area. I was excited about the prospects of seeing the airplane in the beam. The beam circled to the north. That is when the aircraft suddenly stopped moving. Now I was even more pleased with my good luck because it had to be a helicopter. This was going to be a rare sight indeed! A helicopter wasn't often seen in Tulsa. The light swept by without touching the aircraft then continued to swing back to the south. The aircraft moved a short distance again to the south, then hovered there. I waited for the light and when it swept north again I was sure this time I would get to see the helicopter. When the light got close, however, the aircraft casually moved back to the north to avoid being caught in the light. Now it had turned into a game of tag. I was content to stay for the show because the breeze was good and the temperature was cooling down. I watched as the aircraft moved back to the spot it hovered over before. The same thing happened on the next sweep of the spotlight. And a third time. The fourth time the aircraft stayed in the spot. I was sure I would see it illuminated this time because the light was nearly there and the aircraft continued to hover over the spot it had been to three times before. At the last second the aircraft quickly moved north. Then it sped away north-northwest gaining altitude at an unbelievable rate of speed. I was not aware that there were any aircraft that could move so fast. This startled me so much I stiffened up and nearly fell off the roof. I remember fighting to stay on the garage and kept myself from falling and finally got myself off the roof with only a few scratches and bruises. My dad would have killed me if the fall didn't. I remember hearing about the pictures taken by a local newspaperboy named Smith shortly after that, but never told my parents because I was afraid of being punished. I would like to contact the boy who took the pictures to tell him I saw it too and compare what he saw to what I saw.

[Firstname] [Name]

[Street address]

[City, state, zip code]

[eMail address]

[Phone number]

To: Other sighting reports.

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on August 18, 2006