Your sightings -> HomeHome
Cette page en franšais

Your sighting reports:

See here for reporting information.


Basic indications:

Date writtenJune 28, 2005
Date receivedJune 28, 2005
Date publishedJune 28, 2005
Date of sightingJune 30, 1977
Place of sightingAviano, Italy
Original language of reportEnglish
Reported usinge-mail
Unreleased informationName, firstname, email address
Investigation, additional informationNone
ExplanationNot looked for; classic case

The report:

Subj: UFO over Aviano AFB Jul 1977
Date: June 28, 2005
From: [retained]

Hello from Colorado,


On June 30, 1977 I was assigned as the after hours Base Alert Photographer on Duty.

As I recall it, I was called out to the Base flight line at about 11:00 pm. I was told very little about what I would be photographing by the driver that picked me up. That was very unusual. I was taken to the security police guard house, close to the flight line, and was told that the Group Commander would be coming to pick me up and take me out to the sight. That was extremely unusual and in fact had never happened. Once inside the security Police guard house I noticed that three security police officers were very upset. One was crying frantically. The second was trying to calm her down. The third was staring into space like in a trance. Then, another security policeman came in and asked me what equipment and film I had with me. I told him I was prepared for taking black and white photos only. He told me that we needed to go and retrieve color film and a motion picture camera from the Base Photo Lab ASAP and return to the guard shack. We did so. By this time there were another seven or eight security police in the main area of the guard house. All were talking to each other about what they had seen. I overheard enough to know it was no light on the clouds. What I heard was similar to what was reported in the article on your web page. There are a couple of exceptions. I heard that the UFO made no sound at all. I also heard that the security police attempted to communicate with it. That they were within 15 feet of it. I can also tell you that it was a very clear night. No clouds in the sky at all. I was by now expecting to be taking pictures of a lifetime. Then, before they could get me out to the sight, the UFO took off. We were then told not to say anything to anyone about what had taken place. I had a very good friend that was assigned as the group commanders secretary. The next day I explained what had happened. She said that perhaps she could find out more about the incident when she went into work on Monday. She was able to report that there was not one mention of the incident on the police blotter. Very unusual in as much as the base commander and the group commander had been called out along with most of the security police on base. Another interesting thing happened after the incident. All those that had been to the sight that night were transferred back to the states within a few weeks. Normally it would take three months to get orders to leave. However, before they left everyone on base had heard about the UFO.

My conclusion is that there was a UFO that hovered a few feet off the ground just a few feet from the fence of our WASA area at Aviano AFB. It was there for what must have been as much as 90 minutes. This was no weather related phenomenon. It was a sighting by military professionals that witnessed some kind of machine that hovered just a few feet off the ground.

This event has been one of my favorite stories to tell. Perhaps your readers would be interested as well.

[Firstame Name], USAF, Ret

To: Other sighting reports.

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on June 28, 2005