Press -> Roswell 1947 -> Homeclick!
Cette page en franšaisCliquez!

Roswell 1947 - newspapers in 1947

The Washington Post, July 9, 1947:


AAF 'Flying Saucer' Merely Weather Box-Kite

New Mexico Find Proves Complete Dud

By John G. Norris
Post Reporter

For three hectic hours last night, the Army Air Forces -- and the world -- thought it actually had possession of one of those fabulous "flying saucers." But it hadn't. News tickers yesterday afternoon flashed the word that a "flying disc" had been found on a ranch in New Mexico and was now in the possession of the 509th Atomic Bomb Group at Roswell Field, N.M. The mysterious will-o'-the-wisp really exists -- so said an announcement from Roswell Army Airfield's public relations officer.

Warrant Officer Knows

Then, a few hours later and nearly two days after the "disc" had been in official hands, it was rudely exposed as an imposter. Rushed from Roswell to Eighth Air force Headquarters at Fort Worth, Tex., by B-29, it puzzled AAF officers there. They were about to fly it on to the Army's experimental center at Wright Field, when an Army warrant officer identified the object. It was part of a box-kite type of weather balloon used by United States Weather Bureau and Army meteorological stations all over the country!

Rancher Lacks Phone

But there was excitement while it lasted. Wire service teletypes brought the story of the "momentous discovery" into newspaper officers late yesterday. Bulletin after bulletin reported it as follows:

The object had fallen on a ranch 75 miles northwest of Roswell. Lacking a phone, Rancher W. W. Brizell [sic] waited a week until he was coming into town, then turned over to the sheriff. The latter turned it over to the Army Monday. AAF intelligence officers pondered over the find, put out an announcement saying the disks were a "reality" and shipped it to Eighth Air Force Headquarters at Fort Worth, Tex.

Army Air Force officials here were as flabbergasted as the rest of the world. But under the personal direction of Lieut. Gen. Hoyt Vandenberg, acting AAF chief, who dropped into the Washington headquarters in the midst of the excitement, they burned up the wires to Texas and New Mexico...

They got form Brig. Gen. Roger Ramey, Eighth Air Force Commander, a description of the object. It was "of very flimsy construction -- almost like a box-kite", made of wood and with a cover "like tinfoil"...

Ramey said he hadn't actually seen it himself as yet. He went to take a look, and called back that it was about 25 feet in diameter. He said he was shipping it on to Wright Field, Ohio, but would have one of the meteorological officers look at it first...

Story Falls Flat

That's when the story fell flat, with a thud heard 1500 miles away in The Post city room. Warrant Officer Irving Newton, a forecaster at the Fort Worth Army base weather station, stepped up, and identified the object as part of a weather balloon. It was of a type used by the United States Weather Bureau and AAF meteorologists to determine the direction and velocity of winds at high altitudes.

He said it could have come from any one of 80 weather stations in the United States using such equipment. Newton said the object, a ray wind target [sic, Rawin], was used "because they can go so much higher than the eye can see." A radar set is employed to follow the balloon and through a process of triangulation the winds aloft are charted, he added.

Looks Like Star

When rigged up, Newton stated, the object looks like a six-pointed star, is silvery in appearance, and rises in the air like a kite, mounted to a 100-gram balloon. General Ramey then took to a Fort Worth radio station to explain that the "flying disc" was a weather balloon.

Earlier, it was announced that he would broadcast over the National Broadcasting Company, but this was not done.Brazell [sic, Brazel] found the broken remains of the weather device scattered over a square mile of his land three weeks ago. He bundled the tinfoil and broken wooden beams on the kite and the torn synthetic rubber remains of the balloon together and rolled it under some brush, according to Maj. Jesse A. Marcel, Houma, La., 509th intelligence officer at Roswell, who brought the device to Fort Worth.

Goes to Sheriff

On a trip to town at Corona, N.M. Saturday night, Brazell [sic] heard the first reference to the flying disks, Major Marcel related. Brazell hurried home, dug up the remnants of the kite and balloon on Sunday and Monday headed for Roswell and the sheriff's office. This resulted in the Army entering the case.

Col. William H. Blanchard, 509th commanding officer, reported the incident to Gen. Ramey. At that time, Lieut. Warren Haught [sic], public information officer at the Roswell Field announced that a "flying disc" had come into possession of the Army Air Forces.

Lieutenant Haught said in a statement to newsmen that "the many rumors regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the Intelligence Office of the 509th (atomic) Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Airfield, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc through cooperation of one of the local ranchers and the sheriff's office."

Air Forces public relations men here were puzzled when newsmen reported the statements from Texas. At first they gave the bare details of the finding of the object.

Then they clamped a security lid on any further information on grounds that it was "high level stuff." As it turned out, they were absolutely right.

International News Service said a Shreveport, La., auto salesman found a spinning gadget of aluminum about 16 inches in diameter containing wires and turned it over to intelligence officers at Barksdale Field.

INS said the White House officially announced that President Truman doesn't know anything about the saucers.

Rear Admiral Blandy, who commanded the Bikini atom bomb tests, was skeptical the disks existed at all and said he couldn't be blamed for them.

A Roanoke, Va., toy maker, Kyle Walker, said the saucers were rubber rings his sales crew is using to promote a new game in which aluminum rings are thrown at posts in the ground. Walker said he told his salesmen to fill the rubber rings with helium so they would blow about and create interest.

Lloyd Bennett of Oelwein, Iowa, claimed a reward for his discovery -- a piece of metal six inches in diameter which he said swished through he air. A metallurgist said it took 6300 degrees of heat to melt it.

An Australian profess of psychology, F. S. Cotton, leaned to the spots-before-the-eyes theory. Reports of disks also came from South Africa, Denmark and England.

Source for this article:

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict

 Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home
This page was last updated on February 22, 2004.