Cette page en franšais

News and observation reports, October 2004:

Some of the UFO observations and ufology news in October 2004 are listed on this page. Please note that these are not studies, but second hand observation reports, although mostly obtained from reliable and well known sources.


Oct. 28, 2004, 3:35 a.m. - While traveling northbound, a Ridgecrest resident sighted an orange object three times brighter than Venus to the northwest of his location, just above the mountains. As the individual continued northbound for about a quarter mile, he noticed that the object had moved behind a cirrus cloud, at which point "a large brilliant flash took place." While progressing further on his itinerary, the man reported that the unidentifiable object to be hovering in plain sight about 1,000 feet away from him for 20 to 30 seconds. As he looked upon the object, a black dot on the top of it was momentarily apparent. The witness report included that the object was "of size, color, and speed of likes he had never seen before."

Davenport spoke at length to the witness of the Oct. 28 sighting and reported that the person filing the statement, who allegedly is affiliated with the United States Navy, was "exceptionally serious minded."

Thanks to Peter Davenport, NUFORC, www.nuforg.org


On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 10:35 p.m., Brian Smith, a U.S. government employee, was out skywatching with a pair of 12X binoculars when he noticed two strange lights approaching "from due north."

Brian reported, "While observing the lunar eclipse from the Courtyard Marriott (hotel) parking lot, off of Coliseum Drive" in Hampton, Virginia (population 146,437) "I had my first genuine UFO sighting. After lowering the binoculars I was using on the moon, I glanced directly overhead and saw two quasi-pinpoint objects moving in not-quite-parallel directions from north to south."

The two objects were about half-a-fist-at-arm's-length apart. They covered the angular distance from zenith to about 30 degrees above the horizon in about five to six seconds. The objects disappeared behind a layer of cirrus cloud to the south."

"The objects were not exactly spheres of light. They had a bright white central pinpoint of light surrounded by a thin, faint, white halo that seemed to scintillate just slightly. The halos were probably half-a-pinky-finger in diameter."

"I couldn't get my 12X binoculars up quick enought to get a focus on them."

"While I was watching the two objects pass overhead, they moved closer to one another, and one changed course about ten degrees and veered away from the other one at closest approach. The objects were not traveling at the same speed. The one that made the quick and abrupt course change seemed like it was playing catch-up with the other. It was just abeam at the time it made the sudden course change and then accelerated slightly ahead of the other," which "maintained a more or less steady course and speed."

"At first I thought they might be jets from Langley Air Force Base, which is less than three miles (5 kilometers) away, but the objects were extremely silent with no show of conventional nav (navigation -- J.T.) lights. They looked like no polar-orbiting satellite I've ever seen -- and much too fast to make abrupt direction changes for nominal trajectory."

"I watched the area of sky into which the objects departed for quite some time, hoping to see them again. No luck."

"Altitude was between 15,000 and 30,000 feet (4,500 and 9,000 meters), with speeds in excess of Mach 2 -- my estimate."

Hampton, Va. in on Interstate Highway I-64 about 65 miles (108 kilometers) southeast of Richmond, the state capital. (Email Form Report)


On Thursday, October 21, 2004, at 9:10 p.m., Mirjam Schouten was driving her car on Highway A-2 in the Netherlands. As she was passing through the town of Weert, 70 kilometers (42 miles) southeast of Rotterdam, near the border with Germany, she noticed a curious blue glow on the right side of the highway.

"A cigar-shaped blue light with a red light on the right side suddenly appeared," she reported, "It was bigger than an airplane, and it flew faster than an airplane. It was higher than a plane and it flew in an absolute straight line."

"The object crossed the sky from my right to my left, that is, from west to east. I was facing north, and I had it in view for a couple of minutes."

(Email Form Report)
Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Volume 9, Number 45 November 10, 2004. Editor: Joseph Trainor, www.ufoinfo.com/roundup


"On Tuesday, October 19, 2004, at 11:30 a.m., a flotilla of 23 silver crescent-shaped UFOs flew over the port city of Veracruz, 350 kilometers (210 miles) east of Mexico City."

"Ricardo Antonio Lopez Mendez, a resident of Veracruz, described the sighting of a flotilla of UFOs, which flew and hovered over the seaport city at 11:30 a.m. The crescent-shaped UFOs, which were of a brilliant silver color, remained in view for approximately 45 minutes."

According to Mexican ufologist Ana Luisa Cid, "Eyewitnesses described several semi-spherical objects which changed colors. They were seen by both a police patrol and a commercial jetliner while over the city. Cell phones were affected, and animal reacted violently to the passage of the mysterious objects."

Eyewitnesses in El Centro, the main plaza of Veracruz, first noticed a strange formation flying parallel with a major thoroughfare, Sra. Cid reported. "They saw the objects fly over their street. One said, 'Look! A flight of ducks." But his friend replied, 'Those aren't ducks. That's a flotilla of UFOs!'"

"Ten minutes after the initial sighting, a police patrol, Car 87, entered El Centro, viewed the phenomena and attempted to radio their central headquarters. They were unable to raise the police dispatcher. At the same time, a woman witness attempted to use her cell phone. She finally managed to get through to her friend, a helicopter pilot who believes in UFOs. The pilot told her that a commercial pilot had also seen the objects and had radioed the tower at the airport."

The UFOs were reportedly seen by the crew of an AeroMexico Boeing 737, which had just taken off for the flight across the Gulf of Mexico to Miami, Florida, Sra. Cid added.

"There were 23 objects, semi-spherical, of a color silver, which flew in a V formation. The objects actually changed color throughout the flight. At the moment they changed color, to red or to green, they changed their position within the formation. The objects changed from green to red, doing it each time more and more rapidly. The objects finally broke formation and disappeared in all directions."

Thanks to Raquel Garza, Jaime Hernandez and Ana Luisa Cid, and Joe Trainor, UFOroundup, Volume 9, Number 43.


On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, at 1:26 a.m., eyewitness John Cox reported, "While awaiting a satellite pass, under CAVU (Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited--J.T.) conditions, I observed a satellite-looking object approching from the south-southwest, bearing 150 degrees, at an elevation of about 20 degrees above the horizon. Knowing the ISS (International Space Station--J.C.) to be on the opposite side of Earth at the time, I immediately began detailed observation of the object as it was exhibiting behavior unlike a 'normal' satellite."

"The object was probably cylindrical or rectangular. There was a distinct orange-yellow glow about the center object, similar to that of a High Pressure Sodium Vapor street lamp in the fog. The object and the surrounding glow encompassed an area of the sky slightly smaller than a U.S. dime (10-cent coin--J.T.) at arm's length. It passed noiselessly, left no after-image, trail or smoke. It did not pulse, blink or strobe, and traveled across the sky not unlike a satellite--only faster."

"The object appeared to this experience satellite- watcher to be in LEO (low Earth orbit--J.T.) or higher, either generating a re-entry plasma sheath or else skimming the (atmosphere's) tropopause."

North Port, Fla. (population 22,797) is on Highway 41 about 35 miles (56 kilometers) south of Sarasota.

(Email Form Report). Thanks to UFOroundup.


Many people in Fort Wayne observed an unidentified object streaking through the skies, while one of them, Brandon McBroom, took his video camera and taped it.

The officials at Fort Wayne International Airport and Smith Field Airport said they had no reports of anything unusual in the sky.

The object is probably ordinary space junk. No detailed report with trajectory for example seems to have been issued.


On Thursday, October 7, 2004, at 11:30 a.m., Pat Campion was outdoors at her home in Harlow, Essex, UK and reported, "Whilst viewing a normal plane up high in the sky" to the south "another object came into view, which at first appeared to be a plane but had no vapour stream as it crossed the path of the plane I was first observing. Then, as a small cloud, which obscured my view for about five seconds, had passed by, the object vanished unexplainably."

Pat described the object as "Grey, circular, at a height of 30,000 feet (9,000 meters) similar to a plane."

"I never reported on anything before, and this makes me feel a bit silly, but I know what I saw. If it was an aeroplane, then it was no ordinary plane. It looked like no other."

"The closest likeness I can relate it to is observing a satellite in the clear night sky and, just as it passes over, the thing disappears. It was a clear sunny day with a blue sky and only a few clouds, and the object was a bit larger than a satellite, and I did not have to strain my eyes to see it."

(Email Form Report, thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 41).


The Journal of Hispanic Ufology
October 6, 2004

DATE: October 6, 2004


At the rural estate known as "Hucal", located to the south of the town of General Acha, La Pampa, a total of 3 mutilated Aberdeen Angus cows were discovered on August 6, 12 and 26 respectively.

The animals were missing their udders, ears, eyes, entire tongue and showed mutilations in their maxillaries. The incisions and the state in which the animals were found were similar to the ones in previous cases and which totalled some 1500 beef cattle alone in the years 2002-2003.

In this case, the owners presented a complaint to the police authorities of UR III, headquartered at the locality in question.

Translation (C) 2004. S. Corrales
Institute of Hispanic Ufology (IHU)
Special thanks to Raul Oscar Chaves


On Monday, October 4, 2004, at 9:50 p.m., Brad Mather reported, "I caught an object in my peripheral vision, coming over the house. Turned about 40 degrees very quickly (two-and-a-half to three seconds - B.M.) I lost sight of the object in the trees. Left no 'tail' like meteors do. Could have been a high skimmer but not like any meteor I've ever seen. I was curious if anybody else saw it."

Brad described the UFO as "three points of light, triangular, would 'fit' inside the full moon. No describable body. (Maybe) three separate objects? Traveled in a straight line (but) nothing to gauge altitude or velocity by."

(Email Form Report, thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 41).


Glenn Mahone/Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1898/1600)

Oct. 4, 2004

James Hartsfield
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

Bruce Buckingham
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 04-335


Leroy Gordon Cooper, Jr., (Colonel, USAF, Ret.) an original Mercury 7 astronaut, died earlier today at his home in Ventura, Calif. He was 77 years old. Cooper piloted the sixth and last flight of the Mercury program and later commanded Gemini V.

"As one of the original seven Mercury astronauts, Gordon Cooper was one of the faces of America's fledgling space program. He truly portrayed the right stuff, and he helped gain the backing and enthusiasm of the American public, so critical for the spirit of exploration. My thoughts and prayers are with Gordon's family during this difficult time," said NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe.

"Cooper's efforts and those of his fellow Mercury astronauts, Alan Shepard, Gus Grissom, John Glenn, Scott Carpenter, Wally Schirra and Deke Slayton, serve as reminders of what drives us to explore. They also remind us that to succeed any vision for exploration needs the support of the American people," Administrator O'Keefe said.

The youngest of the original seven astronauts, Cooper's flight in his Faith 7 spacecraft stretched the capabilities of the Mercury capsule to the limits. The mission, May 15 and 16, 1963, lasted more than 34 hours and 22 orbits. That was more than three times the longest U.S. human space flight until that time, and far exceeded the initial design capability of the capsule. During his flight, Cooper became the first astronaut to sleep in space.

"NASA's astronauts extend their deepest sympathies to Gordon Cooper's family," said Kent Rominger, chief of the astronaut office at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston. "He was among the first pioneers in space and his achievements inspired many of us to pursue our dreams of exploring our universe. We salute his many accomplishments as an astronaut and as a husband and father. He will be truly missed," he said.

Cooper and Charles Conrad Jr. flew the troubled and suspenseful third flight of the Gemini program in August 1965. The goal of the mission was to prove astronauts could survive in space long enough to perform a lunar mission. During their eight-day mission, they experienced a number of problems with power systems, thruster fuel, venting gas that caused the spacecraft to roll, and more in a seemingly unending series.

But they stayed in orbit for almost 191 hours, 122 orbits in nearly eight days, and got themselves and their spacecraft back intact. In orbit, they accomplished a "shadow rendezvous" with an imaginary spacecraft, an exercise demonstrating it could be done.

Sam Beddingfield, NASA's Mechanical Engineer for Project Mercury said, " He (Cooper) would think about anything and always be willing to give his opinion. He knew what he was doing and could always make things work."

Cooper was born on March 6, 1927, in Shawnee, Okla. He served in the Marine Corps in 1945 and 1946. He then attended the University of Hawaii, where he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army. In 1949 he was called to active duty and completed pilot training in the U.S. Air Force. From 1950 to 1954 he was a fighter pilot in Germany.

Norris Gray, NASA's Fire Chief and Emergency Preparedness Officer during the Mercury and Gemini years said, " Cooper never said 'you can't do it,' he was gung-ho on everything. He was a real gentleman from the word go. He led a full life, one that a lot of people would want to live."

Cooper earned a bachelor's degree at the Air Force Institute of Technology in 1956, then completed test pilot school at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. He served as a test pilot there until he was selected as a Mercury astronaut.

Cooper was backup command pilot of Gemini 12, launched in November 1965. He also served as backup command pilot for Apollo 10, which flew in May 1969. He left NASA and retired from the Air Force as a colonel on July 31, 1970.

He founded Gordon Cooper and Associates in 1970. He served as president of the consulting firm that specialized in activities ranging from aerospace to hotel and land development projects. Cooper was a director of a number of other organizations, most specializing in energy, advanced electronics systems, efficient homes, boats and marine systems and equipment.

In 1975, he became vice president for research and development for Walter E. Disney Enterprises Inc. of Glendale, Calif., the research and development subsidiary of Walt Disney Productions.

Throughout his life, Cooper pursued a wide range of activities, both professionally and as hobbies. A NASA biography lists his hobbies as treasure hunting, archaeology, racing, flying, skiing, boating, hunting and fishing. Among his numerous awards were the Air Force Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross with cluster, NASA's Exceptional Service Medal, the Collier Trophy and the Harmon Trophy.

He was the first active-duty military man to address joint sessions of Congress twice. Cooper continued his wide-ranging interests and activities until late in his life. He continued to design and test new aircraft in Southern California. "I get cranky if I don't fly at least three times a month," he told a reporter when he was 71.

Additional information about Cooper including his official NASA biography is available on the Internet at:



Gordon Cooper and UFOs: see here.


"The witness, a MUFON member, reported that at 05:30 on October 2, 2004, he was driving home when he noted what first appeared to be a fire on a ridge nearby. As he drove, he got closer to the "fire" and realized that it was not a fire at all but a series of three reddish orange lights affixed to the bottom of a huge triangular object. He neared an intersection and exited his car to watch the metallic craft as it approached from the north and moving directly toward him. He noted his fear and started to run from his car but realized that there was nowhere to go. As the giant object passed overhead, it blocked out all the stars and he estimated the size to be some 300 feet in length."

"The bottom of the craft was somewhat illuminated from the three flame-like, symmetrical appendages on the bottom and he described what appeared to be "ribs" running across the bottom of the object. As it passed directly overhead, he was exposed something which seemed to reverberate through his body. He stated that he felt many sensations all at once, but no description could be found for what he actually felt. He also noted the object made a pulsating/drumming-like noise which also passed throughout his body."

"The object passed him and suddenly turned west, without banking and moved behind nearby hills. At this time MUFON Tennessee has determined that the possibility exists that this witness may have been injured by this "CE-2", or close encounter case. Witness has reported a metallic taste in his mouth today and nose bleeds. This may or may not be related to this close encounter."

"This preliminary report will be revised and edited as information becomes available. Remember, this is only the preliminary findings and must be investigated fully before any determinations are made."

Thanks to UFORA member Kim Shaffer, Director, Tennessee MUFON.


On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 5:46 a.m., Richard A.L. reported, "I was standing on the platform of the Buhre Avenue train station" in the Pelham Bay section of the Bronx, one of the five boroughs of New York City "waiting for the Number 6 train. I was facing east, looking up into the stars as it was a clear, crisp morning, still dark out. As I was looking up, I noticed a small, silver, round disc moving very, very slowly. Then, after a few seconds, it shot upward very quickly, then disappeared into the sky."

(Email Form Report, thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 41).

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on November 14, 2004